• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question about the Raw Denim.

ChronBong

Reaction score
i cannot find the main raw denim thread so i made one about what i need to ask about it.

i was told, not to wash them for at least 1.5-2 yrs if u want to have sick fades, then every 6-8 months wash after that to get deeper fades?

but however, i was also told u should wash it once after u wore them 3 months in cold water to strengthen the fabrics to prevent crotch blow outs. but that will ruin the sick fades u want to create?

im not sure what im being really informed at...but my jeans ive had them for a year, worn them maybe 7-8 months. my crotch area of those jeans are showing its wear...its got lighter color lines that i would have to repair soon.

the question is, should i wash it cold to strength the fabrics or just repair them and wash them later in a few more months?

ive never washed them yet for wanting to have sick fades.

druid420

Reaction score
First of all, great username.

From my understanding, it is advised to wash between 6-12 months of wear for the best fades. Obviously the longer you wait the more pronounced the fades will be. Washing does help the integrity of the fabric by removing dirt particles that eventually cause the fabric to weaken and eventually break down. That being said, washing most likely isn't going to completely prevent a crotch blow out, but may slow the break down process.

Unless the blow out is really bad, I wouldn't worry about it, but I would definitely wash before getting them repaired.

ChronBong

Reaction score
thanks lol. so how long should i soak it for? just cold water in tub nothing else right?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads