• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Post pics of your denim - denim fades and evolution

smw356

Reaction score
Originally Posted by airfrogusmc
I have a friend that has a really nice collection of origianls raw new with tags. and some LVCs and he has some late 40s and early 50s originals and the 47 LVCs are no where near the cut of his originals. I can't imagine Levis in 47 drasticly changing their cut for one year. I've read they cut the 47 LVCs trim to go along with the current trend in slim. Heres a photo of a pair of late 1990s STFs 38 waist and a pair of 47 LVCs. Both have about the same amount of washes. I would say the 55s are cut more similar to the late 90s STF 501s. Well anyway a picture can say sometimes what words can't.
Compare47modern.jpg

Wouldnt that mostly be due to the fact that the modernish 38 would shrink to a 37 while the denim used in the lvc 47s should shrink to like a 35?

airfrogusmc

Reaction score
The 47 LVCs are trimmer all over. Just a slimmer cut and nothing like originals from the late 40s and early 50s. Also much slimmer than any other LVCs same size.

smw356

Reaction score
Originally Posted by airfrogusmc
The 47 LVCs are trimmer all over. Just a slimmer cut and nothing like originals from the late 40s and early 50s. Also much slimmer than any other LVCs same size.

I'm not doubting that I was mostly just refering to the waist disrepency.

airfrogusmc

Reaction score
One more example 47 LVC compared to 1901 LVC
Again both have about the same amount of washes. More than enough for full shrinkage.
Compare1901194701.jpg

Even the legs are trimmer.
compareleg4701.jpg

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My own experience with '47 and '55 repros also confirms that the 47's are much slimmer throughout. I bought both raw (about 10 years ago), but the 47's had to be sized up 2" to fit me in the waist and they were still much slimmer than the 55's. The 55's have a pronounced hip flare and are pretty baggy through the thighs.

airfrogusmc

Reaction score
Baron the 55s are cut like originals from that era. Really trim Levis didn't start showing up until the mid/late 1960s.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That may be true - I've seen a lot of true vintage Levi's from different eras, but I haven't really checked out the differences in cut. I would guess though that the Japanese, being so feteshistic about authenticity, wouldn't all make the '47 cuts slim for no reason whatsoever. Not that it isn't possible - I really don't know.

In my experience, the '66 are the slimmest cut of all the LVC or Japanese repros.

ninjapie

Reaction score
Hey cheapmutha,

How did you go about sizing for your Ande's?
The Rakers seem really cool to me, but my measurements seem really weird compared with Ande's sizing charts.

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Repost from the other sf
kmw1980ju4.jpg
Kicking Mule's again. They actually look significantly darker than these pics show.

airfrogusmc

Reaction score
Baron I think canes come close to the 47s in cut but I do think LVC trimmed the 47s to appeal to the slim fit market. As far as the Japanese being acurate allot of them do denim that is both to heavy in weight and to slubby compared to original Levis. Also allot of them put the cinches on their cinch backs in the wrong place.

theshonen8899

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PG2G
Repost from the other sf

Kicking Mule's again. They actually look significantly darker than these pics show.

Are they significatly bluer too?

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by theshonen8899
Are they significatly bluer too?
Okay, trying again :p BTW, you aren't an anteater are you?
kmw2zc6.jpg

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I posted pictures of my Earnest Sewn Raw Kyrre's a while back, however no pictures of me wearing them. Here is that Link:http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...=11022&page=65

Here they are a little over a month later, so at about 2 1/2 months of wear. The camera as usual makes them look a lot more faded then they already are. In actuality you can barely see fades except for the sides where my knee bends

DSCF0027.jpg

DSCF0025.jpg

DSCF0023.jpg

DSCF0018.jpg

...and yes that is a huge double-sided marital aid on the floor behind me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads