• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ordering from China and changing the Brand and label...Legal???

Dannyboy8

Reaction score
Hello! I am new to this forum. I've been searching all over and cannot come up with a legitimate answer.

I am in the process of starting a clothing line. I am talking to a couple of manufacturers from China and I want to order wholesales clothes from them. The thing is I cannot customize and design the clothes, because it's difficult without meeting them and their company face to face. When I have enough funds, I would love to travel there and meet them.

For now, they already have clothes, tees, shirts, jackets, etc...that I'm really interested in and I want to order. But the clothes are already "branded" in China.

Can I purchase products and change the labels and re-brand it under my brand and sell in the states???

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes you can put any design you like on the shirts, but you can't remove the made in china label and put made in USA.

Dannyboy8

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply!

Yes, with the labeling of "Made in China", I know I cannot change...I was just worried about getting into legal issues selling their product under my brand.

Is this a common procedure with clothing companies, big or small???...order clothes, accessories overseas and re-label it for sales???

I wish I knew what happened behind the doors within a company...lol

Yes you can put any design you like on the shirts, but you can't remove the made in china label and put made in USA.

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if they are already branded, then the design belongs to whoever created it. they may or may not have taken steps to protect their design and may or may not pursue you for "stealing" their design. why don't you just work with them to create a private label line?

Dannyboy8

Reaction score
if they are already branded, then the design belongs to whoever created it. they may or may not have taken steps to protect their design and may or may not pursue you for "stealing" their design. why don't you just work with them to create a private label line?

Very true! I am sending emails back and forth with their sales department and manager. It really is kinda difficult to communicate with them due to language barriers....lol

Ebichuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think what you're trying to do is white labeling - plenty of companies do that and Chinese manufacturers are among them. Try if that term gets you better traction in your dialogue with them.

Rockwell

Reaction score
Why not just leave their tags on and make your "brand" an online store. Instead of pretending that they are your designs, make it an online store with "your fine selection of clothing that has been made in China". You can have a themed online store. Are you really going to make enough business to make it a full time gig to take off tags and replace them? In theory, you aren't really designing anything. You're actually buying like any other store would. I don't want to sound negative but I think that would be a better route for you.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads