• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Noise cancelling headphones

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah
I can't imagine how an over the ear head phone could cut any more noise.
They don't cut more, they cancel it by creating some inverse sound (or something like that). You have to try it to see the difference. Especially when there are silences in the music, the over-the-ear noise canceling headphones produce a quite natural silence. I think they're very good when you want to just take a nap on a flight or relax (without music)

EDIT: pocketsquareguy posted similar thoughts above

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
One of the other uses I have found is to block out hotel noise. Again, I don't have music playing, I just turn them on and let the noise canceling feature work it's magic.
So you sit around the hotel, wearing your headphones, with nothing playing through them?

With all due respect, that seems odd. Are you alone while doing this?

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
So you sit around the hotel, wearing your headphones, with nothing playing through them?

With all due respect, that seems odd. Are you alone while doing this?

I wear them, in bed, as in, "I'm trying to get to sleep and the f**K**g air conditioner is is making some strange noise, or traffic noise outside, etc.

I live on the edge of 89,000 acres of a state park. I like things quiet when I sleep.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^K
Thanks. That makes sense.
Your avatar kind of makes my world seem real quiet. Must be all the blood rushing to my head...

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last time (quite a few years ago) I tried one of these noise-cancelling headphones on. The "silence" was very unnatural. Hated them.

Must try the newer ones to see whether there has been much improvement!

NaTionS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of Shure se420s and they are very good. Great sound isolation, but I almost got hit by a car twice while wearing them so make sure to look around before crossing the street.

oneblood

Reaction score
Anything but Bose. Shures are affordable, but if you can afford them UEs or Jays are better.

slipperywhenwet

Reaction score
I have Sony DJ700s for my big ones, and they cancel noise simply by being closed headphone. They cover my whole ear and hug them well. They're not the best for sound though, as the name implies, they're "DJ" gear, and they are pretty bass heavy. Unfortunately, they get pretty hot, and I sweat easily, so they're not used that often. I'm looking at going with Grado soon, but we'll see if I want to get more over-the-ear cans or not.

I use my Etymotic ER-6i in-ear buds on a daily basis. I love them, they have great sound for their price and they cancel about 90% of the noise around me just by having a good fit (had to try out a few different silicon sleeves before I found a good fit though). I will be moving to UE Super-fi 5pros, or Triple-fi 10pros soon. The sound on the UE's is more neutral than the Etymotics.

I've never been a fan of the ones that cancel noise electronically simply because it didn't feel natural. My Etymotic's cut out a lot of noise, but they still let just a tiny bit in. I would say, if you want noise canceling, then go with in-ear, or closed headphones.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
My buddy just got mugged for his wallet and iPod in Ft. Greene this morning while wearing noise cancelling headphones. Perhaps he would have heard the 4 black kids coming up behind him otherwise?

Why do people wear headphones when walking on the streets anyways?

qwing

Reaction score
Originally Posted by slipperywhenwet
I have Sony DJ700s for my big ones, and they cancel noise simply by being closed headphone. They cover my whole ear and hug them well. They're not the best for sound though, as the name implies, they're "DJ" gear, and they are pretty bass heavy. Unfortunately, they get pretty hot, and I sweat easily, so they're not used that often. I'm looking at going with Grado soon, but we'll see if I want to get more over-the-ear cans or not. I use my Etymotic ER-6i in-ear buds on a daily basis. I love them, they have great sound for their price and they cancel about 90% of the noise around me just by having a good fit (had to try out a few different silicon sleeves before I found a good fit though). I will be moving to UE Super-fi 5pros, or Triple-fi 10pros soon. The sound on the UE's is more neutral than the Etymotics. I've never been a fan of the ones that cancel noise electronically simply because it didn't feel natural. My Etymotic's cut out a lot of noise, but they still let just a tiny bit in. I would say, if you want noise canceling, then go with in-ear, or closed headphones.
Agreed. Noise-canceling headphones are widely acknowledged to be inferior to noise-isolating ones in terms of audio quality; the shure se210 in particular is a value-for-money buy. http://www.headphone.com/ -- v informative site If comfort is important though go with headphones.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads