• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nadal wins the French Open (again)

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Missed it.
baldy[1].gif

Great for him, as I've come to appreciate Nadal more and more over the years. And his rivalry with Federer is probably one of the best thing that ever happened to tennis.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Good final...both guys played well.

I'm hoping Federer becomes one of the alltime greats who've never won the French.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What about that douche at the end with all three buttons buttoned on his coat?

michaeljkrell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
What about that douche at the end with all three buttons buttoned on his coat?

Yeah, that wasn't the best suit I have ever seen, but it was Guga! He's won it three times, so he can wear whatever he wants...

I was just able to watch the last set and it just looked like Federer had no chance. He tried everything and nothing worked.

There was an article in ESPN The Magazine about why Federer wasn't going to win the French and one of the most interesting things I saw was the fact that he skips the clay court circuit because he gets so much money just for showing up at other tourneys. I think he gets 500K for showing up at Dubai. It seems like if he really wanted it, he would go play the clay court circuit and play more than a few weeks against more than suitable clay court opponets...

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Federer is going to win the french any one of these days....

I know Nadal is great but honeslty I think Federer is so much better than Nadal. Nadal has nothing on him except on clay and Federer is probably going to take it sometime in the next couple of years...

Flieger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ghulkhan
Federer is going to win the french any one of these days....

I know Nadal is great but honeslty I think Federer is so much better than Nadal. Nadal has nothing on him except on clay and Federer is probably going to take it sometime in the next couple of years...

AMEN! that is the truth and nothing but the truth... tell them brother...
bigstar[1].gif

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It really makes you appreciate the wonder that was Borg. Six French and Five Wimbledons in a row. An unmatchable ability to go from clay to grass and not miss a beat.

Other's who couldn't conquer Paris...

McEnroe
Sampras

michaeljkrell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
It really makes you appreciate the wonder that was Borg. Six French and Five Wimbledons in a row. An unmatchable ability to go from clay to grass and not miss a beat. Other's who couldn't conquer Paris... McEnroe Sampras
Do you mean he won 6 French and 5 Wimbledons in his career? Not in a row... But anyway, I couldn't agree with you more. Why Borg is mentioned with the likes of Sampras and Laver is a mystery to me... What do you mean Nadal doesn't have anything on Federer? He is 6-1 or 7-1 on clay and they are 2-2 on hardcourt. They have only met once on grass, and Federer beat him in the Wimbledon final. Federer is what now, 25 or 26? He doesn't have that much more time to take it from Nadal. I think Nadal has a better chance of beating Federer at Wimbledon than Federer has at beating Nadal at the French. Nadal is only 21. If Federer ever wins the French, it will be because Nadal was injured...

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by michaeljkrell
Do you mean he won 6 French and 5 Wimbledons in his career? Not in a row...

But anyway, I couldn't agree with you more. Why Borg is mentioned with the likes of Sampras and Laver is a mystery to me...

5 Wimbledons in a row ('76-'80), 4 French ('78-'81) in a row with 6 ('74 and '75) overall. Three years of winning both in the same season.

brimley

Reaction score
What do you mean Nadal doesn't have anything on Federer? He is 6-1 or 7-1 on clay and they are 2-2 on hardcourt. They have only met once on grass, and Federer beat him in the Wimbledon final. Federer is what now, 25 or 26? He doesn't have that much more time to take it from Nadal. I think Nadal has a better chance of beating Federer at Wimbledon than Federer has at beating Nadal at the French. Nadal is only 21.

+1

Federer didn't have a great final. He looked tired at times and the unforced errors were way too high. His forehand was letting him down today. Nadal, on the other hand showed some real finesse to complement his athleticism and freakish defensive winners.

I like Federer more than Nadal, but this rivalry has been great for the men's tour. Always great tennis.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you mean Nadal doesn't have anything on Federer? He is 6-1 or 7-1 on clay and they are 2-2 on hardcourt. They have only met once on grass, and Federer beat him in the Wimbledon final. Federer is what now, 25 or 26? He doesn't have that much more time to take it from Nadal. I think Nadal has a better chance of beating Federer at Wimbledon than Federer has at beating Nadal at the French. Nadal is only 21.

Well, for what it's worth, the reason they've only played each other 4 times on surfaces other than clay (despite the limited number of clay court tournaments) is that Nadal have not (yet) consistently advance far enough to face Federer. All things considered, I'd take Federer on clay over Nadal on anything else anyday.

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy

Other's who couldn't conquer Paris...

McEnroe
Sampras

How many times did Sampras make the finals at Roland Gaross? Not exactly an apt comparison.

michaeljkrell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, Nadal hasn't been consistent on other surfaces, but he is only 21 and has won three grand slam titles and has been to the Wimbledon final. Federer didn't win his first grand slam title until he was 21.

I agree that Federer is now the better all-around player, but in 4 years I don't think it is crazy to think that Nadal could have 8-10 majors to his credit(3 or 4 more French, 1 or 2 Australian Open titles and an US Open title)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads