• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MTM shirt arm hole sizing?

Redline9k

Reaction score
Just got back my first Modern Tailor shirt, based off of another shirt I love....as usual, I need to do a little tweaking to the measurements, but still, a perfectly wearable shirt right off the bat.

Question I have...I got a response from the tailor about my requested 9.25" arm hole length (flat), mentioning this is pretty short (high arm hole). For my size, they recommended 10.5. That was a pretty big leap, so i remeasured and stuck with 9.25".

It IS a little tight, but not constricting or anything. Yes...i have pretty girly arms. For perspective, I asked for an 8" sleeve width (half), which fits pretty well.

Anyway, what measurements are you guys using for arm hole length? I want to increase it a little, but not sure how much to start out with...

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What is your chest measurement?

My armholes are 9.375"
Chest pit to pit is 22.5"
Sleeve 7" down from top of shoulder seam is 7" (I have girly arms too)

My shirtmaker comments on the slightly tight armholes, however I like it that way, it stays tucked in better, and high armholed jackets won't yank up the sleeve length.

Redline9k

Reaction score
my pit to pit is 21"...

.... I know what baggy and horrible (RTW) looks like, but dont have alot of reference for actual correct fitting and how it *should* be.

Ill move it up to 9.5 or 9.625" next order and see what happens.

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Frankly, I don't know what measurement is being used. While I am pretty picky about having a high armhole on both shirts and coats, I've never gotten too detailed with the maker. I always just tell them to make the armhole as high as possible within reason. So far, that's worked very well for me.

And yes, I also drive and RX8. In fact, I just took a long road trip from DC to Raleigh and back. I was pleased to have gotten 17mpg for the all-highway, all-6th gear trip.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Louche
And yes, I also drive and RX8. In fact, I just took a long road trip from DC to Raleigh and back. I was pleased to have gotten 17mpg for the all-highway, all-6th gear trip.

What does this have to do with anything?

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
What does this have to do with anything?

Look at his screen name. I'm guessing that someone with enough money to drive one of the few hyper-exotics that can redline at 9K has better things to do than post on SF during the middle of the work day. It follows, then, that OP is alluding to the RX-8

Redline9k

Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Louche
...I'm guessing that someone with enough money to drive one of the few hyper-exotics that can redline at 9K ...

...or an S2000...

btw, the RX8 is at 7500...but that has nothing to do with my arm holes.

...moving right along...

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Exactly, it could be a rice rocket. My father rides around on one that redlines at like 12 grand. But honestly, I had no idea where the car comment came from.

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Redline9k
...or an S2000...

btw, the RX8 is at 7500...but that has nothing to do with my arm holes.

...moving right along...

I drive an RX8. It is 9k. Maybe the automatics red-out at 7.5.

But yes - I just ask for as high an armhole as practicable and it usually works. I find that makers know their blocks and patterns better than the customers usually. The measurement that you have had success with when working with one particular maker may not translate as well when working with another maker.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My best fitting shirts have arm-holes that are 8.5", and I could probably go smaller than that, but I'm also pretty skinny...

Kurtz

Reaction score
FWIW I used 9.5'' for the armholes on my MT shirts, and I used a 22.5 p2p and 7'' bicep. I prefer a pretty tight armhole and might make the measurement a little smaller for my next shirt.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads