• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Model conservative business dress Office Dress Code?

J. Cogburn

Reaction score
Fellas, I'm now the boss and, in the course of getting my new business off the ground, I want to provide a written dress code. Because this is a white collar office dealing with Washington political types, I need my employees to embrace conservative business dress. Has anyone produced a good written dress code (for men and women) that I might appropriate? I could write it myself of course, but I'd rather not reinvent a wheel.

Poking through old posts revealed that Manton was working on something for a business journal nearly a decade ago. Did anything come of that?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(Company Name) expects employees to dress appropriately in business attire. Because our work environment sees frequent visits from customers, clients, and the public, professional business attire is essential.

Business attire for men includes suits, sports jackets and pants that are typical of business formal attire at work. For women, business attire includes pant and skirt suits and sports jackets appropriate to a formal business attire environment.

Employees are expected to demonstrate good judgment and professional taste. Courtesy to coworkers and your professional image to clients should be the factors that are used to assess that you are dressing in business attire that is appropriate.

Employees who wear business attire that is deemed inappropriate in this workplace will be dealt with on an individual basis rather than subjecting all employees to a more stringent dress code for appropriate business attire.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Maybe include some examples of what does and does not constitute acceptable to go along with that, as well as explanations as to why some outfits wouldn't qualify.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Maybe include some examples of what does and does not constitute acceptable to go along with that, as well as explanations as to why some outfits wouldn't qualify.

I mean you can, but this isn't rocket science. If someone reads that and doesn't know what works or doesn't, they need to get their head examined.

What I would add is that if anyone has any questions/issues with the dress code, please free to discuss them with the OP.

Last edited:

badchad

Reaction score
Be as specific as possible, especially if you plan to take disciplinary action for individuals not meeting your standards.

What if someone comes in wearing a horrendously fit suit? This sounds like a can of worms IMO.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The dress code should reflect the company and the current employees. if the OP feels as if the standards are not being met at all times, be more specific. If he just wants to put something in writing just as a reminder, he can be a little less specific.

The OP sees his employees every day. Base the code on that.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
If someone reads that and doesn't know what works or doesn't, they need to get their head examined.

Never underestimate the ability for very smart people to be very stupid in specific areas. He's probably not hiring these people based on their clothing common sense. So he may have some very good accountant who thinks that a polo tucked into khakis with a blazer on top of it is perfectly acceptable.

Plus, some examples of what the OP has in mind might be fun.

Last edited:

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

only if OP is opening up a new big box retailer shop like best buy.

not necessarily true.

For example, the uniform could consist of the following:

TOPS: collared button-down shirt in white, blue, pink, or stripes/checks in any of those colors

BOTTOMS: dress trousers in either navy, grey, black, or khaki

done.

Big Texas

Reaction score
I'm not a lawyer, but a long time ago, I worked at a very conservative financial services company that was the focus of a dress code-related lawsuit. Dress codes, especially when they come to dictating what women can and cannot wear, have become something of a minefield these days. Dress codes are totally defensible, and you're within your right to mandate one. But I'd steer away from the Scylla and Charibdys of overly specific prescriptions and overly vague proscriptions. (See: PB's example of the UBS memo, dictating what color underwear women should wear.)

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

not necessarily true.

For example, the uniform could consist of the following:

TOPS: collared button-down shirt in white, blue, pink, or stripes/checks in any of those colors

BOTTOMS: dress trousers in either navy, grey, black, or khaki

done.

So the man at that firm who is already rather well dressed would not only be limited to those options? That's silly.
Black trousers? Really?

Big Texas

Reaction score

So the man at that firm who is already rather well dressed would not only be limited to those options? That's silly.
Black trousers? Really?

Plenty of businesses mandate black trousers. For instance, TGI Friday's and Chili's. Pieces of flare are optional, but encouraged.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads