• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Loafer Fit - What Size to Go With?

Baked Potato

Reaction score
Hey,

I recently bought a pair of loafers, but I'm quite unsure if I should keep them or exchange them for a half size up. They fit well in the heel, but the front towards the toe is just too tight. I'll absolutely need to go by my cobbler and have them stretched. Also, I do have issues with bunions after wearing too tight shoes in the past, so I won't be able to "naturally" stretch them by wearing them until they'll reach a comfortable point. Sizing up brings another issue, the heel will get a bit too loose. I've heard that breaking in the shoes might help reduce heel slippage, but I don't know. Won't breaking in to them make them too big? Perhaps putting in a 1/4 leather insole?

Loafers are just a pain ********** to fit right. Doesn't help that I have wide penguin feet with a small heel.

Thank you in advance. :)

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah this is why I no longer buy loafers. I don't recommend any insoles, it just creates more pressure at the top of the instep and the gait feels awkward. You're right that if you go up a size your feet will flop right out.

I bought a shoe stretcher from my cobbler to stretch out the toebox until I thought the leather was going to deform, and then I stretched it some more.

Only then is it wearable with thin dress socks, and if my feet aren't particularly swollen that day.

Baked Potato

Reaction score
Yeah this is why I no longer buy loafers. I don't recommend any insoles, it just creates more pressure at the top of the instep and the gait feels awkward. You're right that if you go up a size your feet will flop right out.

I bought a shoe stretcher from my cobbler to stretch out the toebox until I thought the leather was going to deform, and then I stretched it some more.

Only then is it wearable with thin dress socks, and if my feet aren't particularly swollen that day.

I already feel that the instep is a bit on the tighter side, which on the other hand it should be when it comes to loafers. Yep, I love loafers but I always have a hard time making them fit my problematic feet...

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Your heel will often slip out of loafers when they're new, but a proper pair of loafers should fit well once the soles break in. When the soles are resistant, they can sometimes force the heel out.

I don't think it's easy to get sizing advice on a forum like this. People can't see your feet and are reliant on your description, which may or may not accurately reflect what you need to do. It's like the blind leading the blind.

If you go to a good and reputable store, the people there should be able to fit you in a pair of good loafers. Afterwards, you may get a sense of how loafers should fit and feel when they're new, which will make it easier for you to ascertain if you've bought the right size from an online vendor.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads