• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Linen suiting weight

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just ordered a two piece, half-lined Irish linen suit. The cloth is from a Zegna book (my tailor is in Italy), and it's 11 oz. I take it this is a reasonable weight for a summer suit, especially as I like heavy cloth. Yet the colour selection in the Zegna book was very limited. I ruled out Italian-made linens as they appear too soft and fluffy, almost spongy; however there was another book (Drapers or Carnet, I think) with another Irish linen in a much wider colour selection. In fact I would have liked those better, had they not been a mere 6.5 oz. Am I right in thinking that wouldn't make up well, or did I just make a mistake? I might just be able to telephone the tailor and stop him from ordering the Zegna cloth. I should add that the Zegna cloth also looked nicer in so far as it had more irregularities in the texture, as proper linen should have.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
11oz is not too heavy. I have no idea if Zegna's is worth using.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Zegna travel jacket I bought can't be 11oz. It feels much lighter. Can you get the same cloth they use for the travel line?

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by radicaldog
I just ordered a two piece, half-lined Irish linen suit. The cloth is from a Zegna book (my tailor is in Italy), and it's 11 oz. I take it this is a reasonable weight for a summer suit, especially as I like heavy cloth. Yet the colour selection in the Zegna book was very limited. I ruled out Italian-made linens as they appear too soft and fluffy, almost spongy; however there was another book (Drapers or Carnet, I think) with another Irish linen in a much wider colour selection. In fact I would have liked those better, had they not been a mere 6.5 oz. Am I right in thinking that wouldn't make up well, or did I just make a mistake? I might just be able to telephone the tailor and stop him from ordering the Zegna cloth. I should add that the Zegna cloth also looked nicer in so far as it had more irregularities in the texture, as proper linen should have.

Everything you did was correct re weight. Holland and Sherry or our own SFers might have a better cloth like Minnis.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I should note that the linen is not made by Zegna, but selected by them. In fact it's made in Ireland! I've got a couple of other bespoke pieces where the label says 'Cloth selected by Ermenegildo Zegna': in Italy they also work as cloth brokers. The quality of the cloth seemed good, and it's also a bit more expensive than some of the usual English suspects, so I'm not terribly worried about the quality. I just wanted to be reassured that 6.5 ounces is too light.

JTA

Reaction score
Understand that the thread is already long outstanding however am seeking wisdom regarding linen fabric weight and size as I'm a bit confused with the information on how to convert the weight from running meter or running yard to linear meter or linear yard.

Would a linen fabric with a weight of 180 gram per square meter (width 150cm) be suitable for jacket? and what about linen fabric with a weight of 430 gram per square meter (width 90cm), would it be suitable for jacket? Am thinking of year around one for weather similar to San Fransisco.

Thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads