• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ksubi Joey raw scared to do first wash

aXis888x

Reaction score
i bought some Ksubi Joey raw indigo a few weeks ago and i want to wash them so they will stay nice and dark. im really afraid that they will shrink or lose the color though. if they shrink at all they will be too small, becasue theyre already a bit tight.

is there anything special i can do to lock in the color and keep them from shrinking

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually, he's right. I understand that you want to keep them dark. Even if you just wear them you are looking at a fairly long period of time before they wear significantly. If you just want a dark pair, I'd recommend a dark rinse wash.

aXis888x

Reaction score
i understand they will fade through normal wear, im ok with that. i dont have any experience with raw denim and i dont want them to lose a lot of dye i the first wash...ive heard putting a cup of salt in the washer will lock the color in a bit

omgitsfox

Reaction score
If you have to clean them, soak them. If you put them in the washer they're most likely going to lose more indigo than you want. I would say keep wearing them. It's only been a couple of weeks right?

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
1) Fill a tub or bucket with cold water.
2) Add a bit of Woolite Dark or a simple soap like Dr.Bronner's.
3) Add the jeans and let them sit for 30 mins. No need to agitate.
4) Rinse jeans with more cold water.
5) Hang dry.

aXis888x

Reaction score
i'll probably just wear them for a bit longer.

but thanks for the suggestions, ill use your method whodini

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You could always dry clean them. Just make sure to tell them not to iron them.

They shouldn't lose any color or shrink.

ang_kangkong

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aXis888x
i bought some Ksubi Joey raw indigo a few weeks ago and i want to wash them so they will stay nice and dark. im really afraid that they will shrink or lose the color though. if they shrink at all they will be too small, becasue theyre already a bit tight.
I don't know if I'm understanding this right, but no matter what you do, washing won't lock in color. That's why most people here don't wash their jeans for a long time. Salt doesn't do anything either. It might help keep the indigo from coming off while it's soaking, but the jury's still out on that. Dry clean it when it gets dirty?

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My understanding is that salt in a wash is to help with activating certain dyes....I don't see how it would help keep in color in a pair of jeans. Also, are you just washing them to 'keep them from fading'? If so, then don't wash them. Just wash them when they're dirty and don't worry about them too much,

And correct me if I'm wrong, but I've heard dry-cleaning can be just as hard on clothing as washing due to the chemicals used...

IMO, just don't wash them unless you need to and don't be very hard on them (friction) and they should keep just fine.

base1001

Reaction score
Originally Posted by onion
You could always dry clean them. Just make sure to tell them not to iron them.

They shouldn't lose any color or shrink.

yeah, i really recommend and REMEMBER to tell them not to iron. i made the mistake of forgetting a few times and now i have iron color fade on a few pair, i effn hate iron color fading, i just want to throw them away now. effn irons.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads