• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacket for Travelling

cmrocks

Reaction score
I was hoping I could get some advice on a new jacket. I travel a lot for work (I'm a geologist) so I need something that isn't too bulky. It needs to be durable and take well to wear.

I'm looking for something that will go well with jeans/tshirt/sweater or cotton pants/oxford because that is usually how I dress.

I was thinking about something like a Belstaff Racemaster.

Do you guys think cotton or leather would be a better choice? Also, what color would go with the widest range of clothes?

22_0.jpg

videocrew

Reaction score
I'd go with waxed cotton, that Belstaff is fine, look at something from Barbour or Filson as well. The Filson Casual Weekender or Barbour Bedale/Beaufort would look nice IMO.

cmrocks

Reaction score
My only concern with that Belstaff is that it might be too short and look strange with certain shirts.

What do you think?

DrPat

Reaction score
Is it for field work or meetings/conferences?

Cotton and leather don't do well in rain and are therefore not good for the field. Waxed cotton does not breathe and would not be good for any type of strenuous work.

For the field I would recommend a sport jacket with Gortex (Northface, etc). It would be 100% waterproof yet breathable. For conferences/meetings just make sure you like how it looks.

hboogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ll bean, patagonia (depending on weather)

wagthesam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rob post a fit pic of that. Ive seen you mention it several times now and I'm curious.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I don't take good fit pics but I'll see what I can do. I can say, though, that I think it fits great, pretty slim for a J. Crew item.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
If it's just for traveling, i.e., not meeting and greeting VIPs et al, you can't go wrong with a fatigue. Tough, lots of pockets, not too heavy, not too light.

And would seem to be appropriate for a geologist in the field.

wagthesam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
how would you say it compares to the british oilcloth jacket? That one looks a bit heavier, better for the chillier fall season.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I tried them both on when I picked up the fatigue jacket. I had a tough time deciding between the two (if I were more flush, I'd have picked up both of them). The oilcloth is really nice, a lot of great details, and also surprisingly slim fitting. But it is definitely heavier, more of a strictly winter/wet weather kind of jacket, imo. Seemed a little too warm for fall wear, to me.

Marcus Brody

Reaction score
I really like the Racemaster you have in your initial post. If you mostly wear your shirts tucked in, I think I'd go for that, though if you leave them out (and don't wear them very short) they might tend to peak out).

I like fatigue/safari jackets like the one Robert posted, and actually have one that's my most worn coat in the warmer months. I might just like the Belstaff because it's more novel to me, but it also would be more novel to most of the people you'd run into. Whether that's good or bad, I don't know.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Belfest that you posted is pretty cool. I like the look of short trim jackets myself because I think they flatter most peoples builds. If you wear your shirts hanging out, however, then you are SOL.

But assuming you like a shorter jacket, I would go for leather as a good looking, all-around cool choice. Leather breathes, it is wind proof, it doesn't have the smell that waxed cotton often has and it gets better and better the longer you have it.

There are tons of great options out there in leather. Just get one that has an excellent fit in the shoulder and is trim and not boxy in the waist.

CharlieAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Robert pretty much hit it on the head: if you're doing field work, you really can't beat the practicality, durability, and price/performance of a good field (fatigue) jacket. Seriously, if you're out working in the ****, don't even bother with the J.Crew knock-off, get the real deal. I did some field work in Archaeology and wore out my LL Bean "field jacket" that my Brooks Bros. ex bro-in-law gave me (not my style, but that one actually worked for me). Having pockets to store pencils, pens, notebooks, samples, vials, tools, etc, was a godsend. The Belfast certainly looks pretty bad-ass, but I don't think it'll be the most comfortable or utilitarian out in the field.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads