• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Impulse purchase, very nervous... need condolence. Alterations?

Mr. Mystery

Reaction score
Now that you mentioned it, I agree. I'm a fussy Sf'er like the rest of you, so I'll get the collar brought down. Just to clarify, I'd bring it down around the neck only, and have it merge with the inner lapel the same? or does it follow all the way through slimming the lapels also.

Thanks for the insight.

blazingazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
honestly that's real nice!

good salesman i gather.

tom153

Reaction score
Looks good! Be sure to shorten the sleeves by about 3/4 of an inch though
smile.gif

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Snapshot_1-eton.jpg
Snapshot_2-eton.jpg
Snapshot_3-eton.jpg
Snapshot_4-eton.jpg
Snapshot_5-eton.jpg
Snapshot_6-eton.jpg
I quite like this jasket. The tailoring looks fine. I don't think I have ever seen lapels quite like these before but they are interesting. The sleeve length seems to be fine. I don't think it is necessary to shorten them but it is a matter pf preference. Well done, and congratulations on your purchase.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think the shoulders are a bit too wide, and the gorge on this jacket is way high with a notch that is not deep enough. Sleeves are also too long.

kohelet

Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
I think the shoulders are a bit too wide, and the gorge on this jacket is way high with a notch that is not deep enough. Sleeves are also too long.

His shoulders are fine!!!! Look the overall consensus is that the suit jacket looks great on him. Let's all stop nitpicking. Because the truth is, his salesman/tailor did a great job.

Mr. Mystery

Reaction score
thanks for all the replies...

The shoulders are about right using the wall test, mayby about 1/3 inch too far on each side. I've been out of the gym for a bit, it should be better once I'm back to my reg size.

Also about the gorge, the end lapel point height is two inches down from the shoulder. The pics where taken from mid chest, so they appear higher as almost hitting the shoulder line. bring it down 2 inch's in your head, this is how it looks at face view, still too high?

Overall, I wouldn't do this again. After further self examination...

The arm holes are good under armpits, but still too wide for my taste on the lower back shoulder. They start too far back before my actual shoulder/arm, if you know what I mean.
When i bend back my arm there is a lumpy fabric pucket because of this where the shoulder meets the tricep. This might be less if I had the jacket pressed/ironed though. Now that I think about it the salesman/tailor really didn't do what he said either. Good job for what he tried to work with just altering, but not what he meant. He didn't re-cut the jacket, re-attach the sleeves, fixed with a smaller armhole etc. He more or less just pinched it. Plus I need the back let out more,center seam sewen little too tight upper back.

I will still bring the collar down, and slightly taper/plus bring up sleeves. It will be wearable but there's always going to be some flaws in this jacket. Unless maybe my real trusted tailor can fix it.

Has anyone tried going to a custom place and getting a jacket recut, to go beyond alterations?
This in my mind would be the perfect solution.

I'm also thinking of getting my jackets custom made from now on, It's too hard to find jackets that fit right, and quality is always sub par when I do.

I dunno, I think the time I spend looking would justify the pricier means to an end, granted I'm not gonna go to a saville row type place.

Still learning, I love this fabric though. I don't want to sound too pessimistic, I still like that jacket.

sm31

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Mystery
... The shoulders are about right using the wall test, mayby about 1/3 inch too far on each side ...
What's "the wall test"? A search turns up reference to it, but no explanation.

Mr. Mystery

Reaction score
Wall test as I know it, and from experience, agreed. Stand straight, lean/move into the wall sideways, side flat as you can, your shoulder should hit the wall just right before the jacket. If the jacket hits first, it's too wide, but the jacket should still touch, don't take it too far! In other words if the jacket is noticeably touching before your body, get one less wide. I've just realized I was being extremely picky last post, I'm very satisfied with this coat. I need to embrace a slightly looser fit once in a while... The pictures aren't accurate for the collar, my first time taking pics, they are slanted upwards from a mid chest shot. Looking at pictures in a magazine now, they're actually quite normal. Even the collar shows a 1/2 inch of collar cuff, don't even think it needs to be brought down anymore. If you look at the side view you can tell they don't ride up to the top of the shoulder like the front large pics. Maybe I'll invest in a proper camera. I feel like my post has become a bit of a virus here, I'll try to stop dragging it back up so often.
smile.gif

Icehawk

Reaction score
I quite like the fabric although I think the jacket's cut is a bit strange, but not necessarily bad.

Captain Winky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by theEnd
I'll make you feel better...

At the recently concluded Barney's Warehouse sale (remember.. no returns) I picked up a Brioni jacket that has some odd combination of brown/purple/orange checks. Sure, it was for a fraction of the $3800 sticker price (but who would ever have paid full retail?), and it feels amazing, but it makes me look 15 years older when I put it on.

I'm still wondering if I should give it for alterations or try to sell it to somebody who's got a different sense of style.

Just based on your description, and depending on the fit, I'd try it with very dark jeans and a purple and white striped shirt. Or, if you're feeling bold, swap out the purple stripes with white and do an orange sweater vest. Pair with brown or cognac oxfords. JMHO, and all depends on the exact look/fit of the jacket.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads