• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ideal Width of Skinny Ties

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My skinny ties are about 2.8-3.2 inches. Does that still count as a skinny tie? I think anything narrower than that looks like a belt or rope hanging from your neck.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
2.5" is my perfect width

any skinnier than 2" and it starts looking silly, like a bad 80s video come to life

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have one from TopShop that is about 1.5" from end to end. I tried wearing it with a shirt and tie by itself, but I couldn't bare to leave the house like that. It might have looked okay with a french fly (placket covers buttons, right?) but having my buttons visible at all times was just silly. I did wear the tie once under a v-neck sweater and I think it looked quite nice though.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Vintage or thrift stores. Vintage stores in particular never know the quality of ties they have.

Anyway, I think I may start making a habit of picking up any ties I find of decent quality from about 3.25" down to 2.5" or so and flipping them on the forum. There are plenty out there and it pains me to see you guys considering a $100+ tie ONLY because it's narrow.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
j, the tie you had on in the blazers with jeans thread is pretty sweet and a good width (narrow, but not too narrow) - especially for a casual outfit. It was definitely too narrow for work (I don't like to go narrower than 3" for a work tie), but awesome for the look you had going on. what was the width of that thing?

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will have a group of 5 to 15 Paul Stuart ties on ebay next week....or maybe I'll do a pre-sale on the board. All are mint cond but from the 80s, and therefore narrower. Trad stripes and patterns.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
j, the tie you had on in the blazers with jeans thread is pretty sweet and a good width (narrow, but not too narrow) - especially for a casual outfit. It was definitely too narrow for work (I don't like to go narrower than 3" for a work tie), but awesome for the look you had going on. what was the width of that thing?
That one's 2", but knits are almost always narrower and I think they look awful in wider widths. I probably wouldn't do a 2" in a regular silk tie.

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The thinnest tie I own is 2.25" and the widest I own is 3". IMO 2.5" is the perfect width.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Isnt there a difference between the Narrow ties that some people prefer and the Skinny ties that showed themselves in the fashion areas in Italy this year?

I mean technically these are two different animals arent they?

lowrey

Reaction score
my N(N) tie is about 2.25", to me thats the perfect width, its skinny but doesn't look like a rope. looks like this

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FIHTies
Isnt there a difference between the Narrow ties that some people prefer and the Skinny ties that showed themselves in the fashion areas in Italy this year?

I mean technically these are two different animals arent they?

Do you have a pic of these Italian ones?

Personally I think there can't be an 'ideal' width, which is why I think it's strange that so many people wear whatever width is 'in' at the moment. Just as they need narrower lapels, narrower people need narrower ties to look proportional. I don't think any 38 or 40R looks very good in a 4" wide tie, personally. It just takes up too much shirt space.

But assuming I were wearing jackets and suits all the time, I'd probably stick around the 2.5-2.75" mark for casual wear and 3"-3-1/4" for more formal/serious occasions.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think there are two issues here, one classical and one contemporary.

The classical one, as noted above, is the rule of proportion: not only of tie to collar point and lapel width, but to your own body size and shape.

The contemporary one is that one must wear business-inspired clothing in a way that does not suggest one is going off to do business in a conservative business setting, yet you are somehow wearing jeans. Coats and blazers now have distinctly different materials, details and silhouettes than suit coats or even classical sport coats. Ties, similarly, may have different colors or patterns, materials, or even shapes. The NYT style section caught up to some of them today:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/15/fa...ml?ref=fashion

In general, these are narrower than the ties worn with the new narrow suits. The ties for suits may be between 3 and 3.5, while the casual ties are often narrower still.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads