• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I need major help with my hair!

el oh el

Reaction score
I've finally had it.. I'm 18 years old, and I can't stand my hair any longer. I've put up with it for the longest time, but now that I'm in my senior year I want it to look at least normal..

My hair is pretty short, maybe an inch or so long. It's soo thick and wavy, and right after I wash it and for a day or two afterwards, it's really poofy so my head appaers to be a lot bigger.. and it's just ridiculously wavy.

I've tried everything.. anti-frizz stuff, 10 hold gel, conditioners, etc. None of them are strong enough.. Even the toughest gel doesn't work. By the time it dries, my hair is wavy as **** again. Even if I blowdry it before it can begin to get wavy, it gets wavy right away.

The only moderately-helpful thing I've done is use an electric comb that heats up. Unfortunately, it burns the hell out of my scalp, and my hair/bangs are still wavy a bit afterwards and it still looks just as crappy. Someone told me I should use a perm kit and instead of crimping it, just comb it straight and leave it in. Any ideas from you guys?

Thanks a ton..
-Jason

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
grow your hair a little longer and then try some strightener. I have come to embrace my curly/wavyness, perhaps even like it. Sometimes its a *****, but once you figure out a good style its not so bad.

CliffLee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by el oh el
My hair is pretty short, maybe an inch or so long. It's soo thick and wavy, and right after I wash it and for a day or two afterwards, it's really poofy so my head appaers to be a lot bigger.. and it's just ridiculously wavy.

I've tried everything.. anti-frizz stuff, 10 hold gel, conditioners, etc. None of them are strong enough.. Even the toughest gel doesn't work. By the time it dries, my hair is wavy as **** again. Even if I blowdry it before it can begin to get wavy, it gets wavy right away.

Thanks a ton..
-Jason

My hair is virtually identical to how you describe yours.

I tend to have my hair 'thinned' at the barbers in order to make it less poofy which helps - not sure if youve tried that. When I want my hair to look good, say if im going out, first I'll wash it with a mild shampoo (normally one made for dry hair) using only a small amound of shampoo so it doesn't lather. Once I've done that I will gently towl dry my hair until it is damp. Then I will leave it dry naturally, whilst at the same time brushing my hair along its naturall growing pattern until it is fully dry. I dont use my hair dryer almost at all now. Sometimes it will still look alittle poofy so I then wear a beannie hat (I'm not joking) for about 15 mins to flattern the hair (you don't want to wear the hat for too long as the hair loses shape and just looks stuck to your head!). Once I've done that then im free to style it, normally with wax etc. And yes I am always late for everything... I blame my hair.
smile.gif

hotspur

Reaction score
From your description, it sounds like we have the same type of hair. I kept mine short throughout highschool, but as soon as I hit college I couldn't find a decent barber and started growing it longer. I've tried almost every product and still cannot find one that works great, although I would have to recommend a cream pomade. Ive been using Got2be cream pomade, which is extremely cheap, and when used on slightly wet hair will allow let your hair dry much straighter then without. Also, Ive found small things, like washing my hair in cold water, shampooing only the scalp, and conditioning only the ends of my hair to be helpful. Also, a leave in conditioner or de-tangler applied after towel drying makes my hair less wavy and poofy. Id recommend blow drying your hair, especially if your hair is thick like mine and takes literally hours to dry on its own... plus then you know what it looks like and it doesnt shift as it dries and look ridiculous.

Also, whoever offered wearing a beanie is amusing, I often noticed how moderate "hat hair" actually made my hair look awesome.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads