• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you split a cab?

Carbon

Reaction score
What is the etiquette for splitting a cab with someone you hardly know or don't know at all?

Carbon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
Pay half the cost including tip?

Which cost? The cost of the first destination or the estimated cost of the second destination?

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ah. I thought you meant you were getting off at the same place. The person should pay at their stop, you should pay at yours. So basically if the stranger gets out first and their fare is $15 they pay that. If you get out later and yours is $20 you pay that (the meter won't stop or reset when the first person get's out).

I think that's why many cities don't let Cab drivers pick up multiple fares.

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you tip taxi drivers? I still fiind it hard to understand tipping after eating, do you tip the cleaners as well?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scarphe
after eating, do you tip the cleaners as well?

I do, I have twins - the person who does the most work when I eat out is the guy who cleans under the table.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
Ah. I thought you meant you were getting off at the same place. The person should pay at their stop, you should pay at yours. So basically if the stranger gets out first and their fare is $15 they pay that. If you get out later and yours is $20 you pay that (the meter won't stop or reset when the first person get's out).

That's not fair for the first one to get dropped. What's the benefit to him of "splitting" a cab if he ends up paying the full fare to his destination?

The first one who gets dropped should pay half (or maybe a bit more than that considering tip) of the fare to the first destination/stop, unless the first stop is a big detour for the second destination - in which case, that's really a case-by-case decision

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
That's not fair for the first one to get dropped. What's the benefit to him of "splitting" a cab if he ends up paying the full fare to his destination?

The first one who gets dropped should pay half (or maybe a bit more than that considering tip) of the fare to the first destination/stop, unless the first stop is a big detour for the second destination - in which case, that's really a case-by-case decision

That's how I've always done it, but I've probably split a cab like that less then 5 times in the last 5 years.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203

Everyone, not just the first person out, has to pay the full fare (i.e., what the meter reads at one's destination). If individuals are heading to different destinations, there is no benefit to anyone of splitting a cab aside from the time saved waiting for the next empty cab. Unless your destination is fairly close to another rider's destination, in which case you can split the fare at that destination and pay the additional rider fee.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
Everyone, not just the first person out, has to pay the full fare (i.e., what the meter reads at one's destination). If individuals are heading to different destinations, there is no benefit to anyone of splitting a cab aside from the time saved waiting for the next empty cab. Unless your destination is fairly close to another rider's destination, in which case you can split the fare at that destination and pay the additional rider fee.

Well I guess some people may do that, although I've never heard of that (i.e. the first stop essentially subsidizing the second guy's fare without any cost benefit at all). I would call it "sharing" a cab rather than "splitting" but that's semantics.

Splitting a cab by splitting the fare (as I described above) provides savings to everyone involved

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thats the way it works in D.C. but not all cities. New York City, no one has to pay the full fair up until their point. Its just when the last person gets dropped off to the last point where the fare on the meter goes to the cab driver. So if you get dropped off where the meter reads 5 dollars, you can pay the guy your splitting with whatever. Then when the meter stops say at ten dollars and the second guy gets off he pays the full fare. The other guy who got off at 5 dollars negotiates with the end guy. Not with the cab driver.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ghulkhan
Thats the way it works in D.C. but not all cities. New York City, no one has to pay the full fair up until their point. Its just when the last person gets dropped off to the last point where the fare on the meter goes to the cab driver. So if you get dropped off where the meter reads 5 dollars, you can pay the guy your splitting with whatever. Then when the meter stops say at ten dollars and the second guy gets off he pays the full fare. The other guy who got off at 5 dollars negotiates with the end guy. Not with the cab driver.
Ahh, sounds like we were talking apples and oranges.

Several months ago, I met two people at a dinner and we decided to split a cab after discovering that we lived a few blocks from one another. The fare under the DC zone system was $12 or so at the end of the first stop. The cab driver informed us that everyone in the cab owed the same amount ($12). I was ready to get out of the cab and walk the three blocks home until the driver said he would drive the rest of us to our destinations for free.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that seems ridiculous. in toronto whatever it says it says. regardless if you split it between one, or four. are the DC cabs maybe much cheaper so they charge that? seems very expensive otherwise.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ahh, sounds like we were talking apples and oranges.
Oh I see. Zoned fares vs. meter. Splitting a cab is fairly common in NYC and the driver cannot charge more than the meter (although I think he has the right to refuse to make more than one stop IIRC). I've never really split a cab with strangers in the city but I've done it very often when I was a student, and also several times from the airport to the city

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by West24
that seems ridiculous. in toronto whatever it says it says. regardless if you split it between one, or four. are the DC cabs maybe much cheaper so they charge that? seems very expensive otherwise.
The DC taxicab system is deregulated, so it is very easy to catch a cab at any time of day or night in a well-trafficked area. That is the only good aspect of the taxicab system. DC uses a fare system based on zones, which are concentric circles emanating from the Capitol (meaning it is very cheap for Congressmen to travel anywhere in the city from their office -- go figure!). I live on a zone line, and it costs me two zones (currently $9.80, not including the socially mandatory tip) to go anywhere I would possibly go in the city, whether it is ten blocks or one mile.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads