• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Heavyweight Denim and Fall Weather

Oldguy

Reaction score
I am having so much fun "taming the Beast"; the 26 ounce denim I got from Gustin.

It is silly, stupid, non-sensible, and I don't even wear jeans to work (shirt and tie), but I have become so hooked on heavy denim!

I have the Unbranded 21 oz, which is nice, but the rise is too short for me. (anyone need a 34? I would be in for a trade)

From Gustin, I have their 18 oz, which is remarkably soft;
their "Heavy American", which is 16.25 oz
Their Black/coal, which is 16.5 oz
and...

The 26 oz Beast.

Next week, the "Heavyweight" (23 oz) is due to arrive.

I have less than 75 hours of wear in the 26 ounce "Beast", but they are close to feeling like old school sweatpants.

I do have one pair of 12 oz denim, which is necessary for summer, but after that, nothing lighter than 14 oz Zimbabwe denim.

I do live in a cold weather area (Maine) but even in the upper 50's, like today's beautiful Fall weather, the 26 oz denim is comfortable.

Other than Summer, I don't know if I will ever buy another pair of "normal" jeans again.

Anyone else fall in love with heavy denim?

Ever since I read about the 32 oz denim, I have been fascinated by the break-in period. Fortunately, Gustin offered some, at considerable savings. I do wonder if the 32 oz denim, once broken in, was comfortable. There's nothing local for me to try on. Momtero jeans look nice and have great reviews, though I wish I could find a pair to try on.

I noticed that on ebay, there are some companies in China that are now offering very heavy denim. Nothing as heavy as 32 ounces, but they are "up there" in the weight department.

When winter arrives here (shortly after Thanksgiving), I should have 4 pair of denim, above 18 ounces, broken in and ready to go. They have an "old school" feel to them, even though I know that there were no very heavy denims that I had growing up. They just feel strong, and rugged, and ready for Saturday morning mud-football that we used to play in the 70's!

aDrummingDude

Reaction score
I couldn't imagine 26oz or especially 32oz being comfortable at all, but rather these extreme weights seem to me like more of an arms race between the different makers.

I have a 19oz N&F Slim Guy, and have decided after about 100hrs of wear that they are just too thick to be comfortable. Besides, here in California it doesn't ever get below about 55 degrees even on the coldest days.

I don't know how you guys do it, but more power to you.

Oldguy

Reaction score
DrummingDude,

Maybe its the brand.

The reason I say this is because I am not hard on the jeans....I'm getting older, and all I have done in them is walk...

The Unbranded, besides being too short in the rise, isn't soft.

The 26 oz are moving towards the 'pajama feel' of comfort. I did a couple of soaks, to get excess indigo out and to let them shrink before hemming (the tailor refused to hem them!), using only cold water and a bit of fabric softener.

The first two days, they were hard to button!

No magic tricks, no gymnastic exercises (one guy did write that he wore his biking in the rain!), or anything .

Maybe it is the brand??

Have you tried any other brands?

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
The weight rating of a denim has very little to do with comfort. The type of cotton which is used, how it's woven, how it's processed, and even the dye treatment of the yarns play a huge factor in how a jean will fit and feel like on when new.

aDrummingDude

Reaction score
DrummingDude,

Maybe its the brand.

The reason I say this is because I am not hard on the jeans....I'm getting older, and all I have done in them is walk...

The Unbranded, besides being too short in the rise, isn't soft.

The 26 oz are moving towards the 'pajama feel' of comfort. I did a couple of soaks, to get excess indigo out and to let them shrink before hemming (the tailor refused to hem them!), using only cold water and a bit of fabric softener.

The first two days, they were hard to button!

No magic tricks, no gymnastic exercises (one guy did write that he wore his biking in the rain!), or anything .

Maybe it is the brand??

Have you tried any other brands?

I have, and to that point frankly I'm a bit peeved about how most brands these days have short rises akin to girl jeans. I don't know who first decided this was a good idea, but it certainly isn't the most gentlemanly of looks. The N&F Slim Guy cut is the one which seems to have a somewhat sane rise and still a somewhat slim leg...those two things I have trouble finding in combination.

For now, I'll stick with the cut that I like the best, regardless of the brand on it. To me, the fit is more important than the material, but you very well could be correct as far as the heavier weights being more comfortable with different brands. Although I don't see how similarly weighted and woven cotton denim could vary THAT much.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have, and to that point frankly I'm a bit peeved about how most brands these days have short rises akin to girl jeans. I don't know who first decided this was a good idea, but it certainly isn't the most gentlemanly of looks. The N&F Slim Guy cut is the one which seems to have a somewhat sane rise and still a somewhat slim leg...those two things I have trouble finding in combination.

For now, I'll stick with the cut that I like the best, regardless of the brand on it. To me, the fit is more important than the material, but you very well could be correct as far as the heavier weights being more comfortable with different brands. Although I don't see how similarly weighted and woven cotton denim could vary THAT much.
It does vary that much. Just the slackness of the weave combined with the characteristics of the cotton combined with the way the weight is reached makes a big difference.

Oldguy

Reaction score
I do think that the short rise look will go out of style....for men.

Then again, I've been thinking that manhood is set to make a comeback for quite some time now...

eskamobob1

Reaction score
Hello!

Let me start off by confessing that I too am a heavy weight addict. My current drug of choice are my N&F 32oz. I have 6 days of wear in them, and the fabric has not softened substantially yet, but they have conformed to my body rather well. Mine are probably a size higher than I could have gone, but I think that helped make them fit better. The fit on mine is much closer to a tapered fit (partially because I'm short) and I simply cant imagine having as tight a fit as /u/KingofBabylon over at /r/rawdenim did (mine are a dash loose in the thigh which i think is needed). Over all I think they are just as comfortable as any other denim I have worn at the 1 week period.

I also own the BOM008-T, and the majority of my cop list are heavy weights (including 24-007, R400-H, and samurai 25oz if I ever find them). I will say that the 32oz are going to suck realy bad in the summer, but they have proven to be good for the mid 50s it has been here. Honestly I am not sure what I like so much about heavy weight denim, but I dont see myself going back aside from summers.

mooose

Reaction score
I have a pair of 25 oz samurai from their 15th anniversary, S5000VX25oz, that are amazing in cold weather but I haven't worn them in a few months and I am afraid they won't fit as I have gained weight.

Hirsh

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I am having so much fun "taming the Beast"; the 26 ounce denim I got from Gustin.  

It is silly, stupid, non-sensible, and I don't even wear jeans to work (shirt and tie), but I have become so hooked on heavy denim!

I have the Unbranded 21 oz, which is nice, but the rise is too short for me.   (anyone need a 34? I would be in for a trade)

From Gustin, I have their 18 oz, which is remarkably soft;
their "Heavy American", which is 16.25 oz
Their Black/coal, which is 16.5 oz
and...

The 26 oz Beast.

Next week, the "Heavyweight" (23 oz) is due to arrive. 

I have less than 75 hours of wear in the 26 ounce "Beast", but they are close to feeling like old school sweatpants. 

I do have one pair of 12 oz denim, which is necessary for summer, but after that, nothing lighter than 14 oz Zimbabwe denim.

I do live in a cold weather area (Maine) but even in the upper 50's, like today's beautiful Fall weather, the 26 oz denim is comfortable.  

Other than Summer, I don't know if I will ever buy another pair of "normal" jeans again.  

Anyone else fall in love with heavy denim?

Ever since I read about the 32 oz denim, I have been fascinated by the break-in period.  Fortunately, Gustin offered some, at considerable savings.  I do wonder if the 32 oz denim, once broken in, was comfortable. There's nothing local for me to try on.  Momtero jeans look nice and have great reviews, though I wish I could find a pair to try on.  

I noticed that on ebay, there are some companies in China that are now offering very heavy denim.  Nothing as heavy as 32 ounces, but they are "up there" in the weight department. 

When winter arrives here (shortly after Thanksgiving), I should have 4 pair of denim, above 18 ounces, broken in and ready to go.  They have an "old school" feel to them, even though I know that there were no very heavy denims that I had growing up.  They just feel strong, and rugged, and ready for Saturday morning mud-football that we used to play in the 70's!  

I have a collection of nearly 20( stopping there!) pairs of jeans, but the ones I live in are my 21oz Kurabo denim jeans!(my oldest pair, bought July 2012)

I love heavyweight denim, it's much more comfortable- sometimes I even sleep in them..I'm currently at 18 pairs, the other 2 pairs I'm looking to order next week are a mere 13oz- I know which I'll be living room n!
I also have a 19oz Kurabo and agree with you, that the heavier the better
1f60a.png

Last edited:

Hirsh

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Only ones of my 32s that I have already out together in an album are ore soak pics unfortunately. I have plenty more on my camera, just need to upload them still. Here are these

http://imgur.com/a/NZD7p

They look great, I wish I could have 32oz as well, the heaviest I can trace is 21oz, but the thicker the denim the better!!
1f60a.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads