• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Green shirts - what to wear them with?

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a couple of green dress shirts - one a sage/money green, another a brighter "minty" sort of green. The mint green is slightly more casual with button cuffs, but the sage one is definitely more businessy with french cuffs.

I need more inspiration as to things to wear with them. I wore the sage one for the first time in ages today and while I like the colour, I do sometimes struggle to pair it with other items.

I tend to use them with navy suits or with white/cream items, but want more ideas.

Colours to use with them, styles to try, any tips really!
smile.gif

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Painter's pants. For when you're, you know, painting.

Iceball

Reaction score
I had a mustard yellow corduroy jacket that worked really well with my green shirts, and I don't normally like corduroy but it definitely worked. I would think that unless the green is too bright then pastel shaded jackets and trousers should work pretty well. I agree it's not that easy to match though but if you have any more 'lively' items I think green makes a good match for more extrovert colours.

Hope this helps

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I only have one:

WAYWN130.jpg

Same combo, no tie:

WAYWN013.jpg

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips guys. I especially like the idea of sage green with silvery grey.

One other pair of suggestions I wanted to discuss further...

Originally Posted by Iceball
I had a mustard yellow corduroy jacket that worked really well with my green shirts...
Originally Posted by yachtie
Tans...

I initially thought tan or mustard would complement the green but I tried pairing the sage green shirt with a mustardy/tan pair of trousers today and the overall look became "muddy". I guess it needed either paler or yellower tan.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
It's a good thing you wore a green tie with that, otherwise peeps might not notice the green shirt and windowpane.

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
2. Here are some color combo ideas, not necessarily green shirt, but just sort of blur your vision and look at the combinations of different colors...

Wow, how did you find those so quickly?? Thanks!

I really like the colours in this one:

colorsgreenbrowngrey.jpg

The dark brown works beautifully against the green - definitely will try that combo come the autumn. I also like the grey part of the outfit against the green too.

ndw

Reaction score
Coincidentally, I wore this to work today with a navy blazer. It's a dark purple tie and I thought it worked pretty nicely.

Attachment 25192

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast
Wow, how did you find those so quickly??

I've got a couple pics saved as inspirations... everything from fit, proportion, color combos, specific items, etc. So I just searched my file for "green"...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads