• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Glucosamine

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any success using this supplement for knees? My knees are getting worse and Glucosamine has been recommended by several people. Studies seem to show it works.

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
If you think it will work, it will work. I'd stick with ibuprofen.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Why would you want to take a drug to treat the symptom, instead of using a supplement that mitigates the cause? Well designed studies have found that about 50% of the population gets relief from knee pain by taking glucosamine, and that it may prevent further deterioration of the joint due to osteoarthritis. Of course, if that's not the cause of your knee pain then glucosamine likely won't have any benefit for you.

imhotep

Reaction score
Originally Posted by greg_atlanta
If you think it will work, it will work. I'd stick with ibuprofen.

NSAIDs have side effects

PBNJ

Reaction score
get it, trust me its just as important as protein imo atleast if you hit the gym hard, if youre having problems then get it

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I started taking glucosamine (with chondroitin?) while running. I was unaware of any "good" studies supporting its use. I didn't find that it helped my knees stop crackling. OR, it takes 3-6 months to start working. I still take it, but I actually feel that back squats have helped my knees more than anything else, which I dropped running for.

That's a mess, but the point is... 6 weeks of back squats appeared to make my knees stop crackling, while 3 months of glucosamine and running didn't.

Deluks917

Reaction score
Originally Posted by db_ggmm
I started taking glucosamine (with chondroitin?) while running. I was unaware of any "good" studies supporting its use. I didn't find that it helped my knees stop crackling. OR, it takes 3-6 months to start working. I still take it, but I actually feel that back squats have helped my knees more than anything else, which I dropped running for.

That's a mess, but the point is... 6 weeks of back squats appeared to make my knees stop crackling, while 3 months of glucosamine and running didn't.

While I like squats be aware I slipped a disk doing them, took a year to get back to where I can deadlift. Lots of other people have had problems too. They are very good for many things but they aren't magic. In fact lots of people have knee problems from them (please don't quote rippetoe).

imhotep

Reaction score
Originally Posted by db_ggmm

Originally Posted by Deluks917
While I like squats be aware I slipped a disk doing them, took a year to get back to wear I can deadlift. Lots of other people have had problems too. They are very good for many things but they aren't magic. In fact lots of people have knee problems from them (please don't quote rippetoe).

I believe the reported benefits have only been shown for diagnosed osteoarthritis

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you looked into fish oil? Fish oil is loaded with Omega-3 ***** acids. A lot of people in the wrestling/grappling community take this as the sport is tough on your joints. I notice a difference after supplementing with fish oil.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There have been good, controlled studies that show that glucosamine+chondroiton sulfate work after around 4 months of usage. However, the Cochran Library, which does meta analysis of these studies, has concluded that there's no statistically strong evidence that they do work.

Is it still worth a try? I'd say yes - as long as you buy a quality product that can be absorbed and available for usage in the joints. Not all of these supplements are the same, and it takes an effort to shop around to find the right kinds. Not too much of an effort, mind you, but just realize that there is some crap out there. This does beat ibuprofen/NSAIDs in the long run because you are trying to augment the mechanics within the joint by increasing the shock absorption of the synovial fluid and cartilage while decreasing the friction during motion. NSAIDs can be used from time to time for pain and swelling maintenance, but its scope of function is limited.

fkl118

Reaction score
It seems that all the studies that show glucosamine helps are from Europe. Other studies including the NIH's GAIT study were generally negative. There's also exceptionally high placebo response rates in the studies.

I don't know of any good study that shows it affects the natural history of osteoarthritis.

But since it's generally safe, if you think it works, then go ahead and use it.

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Deluks917
While I like squats be aware I slipped a disk doing them, took a year to get back to where I can deadlift. Lots of other people have had problems too. They are very good for many things but they aren't magic. In fact lots of people have knee problems from them (please don't quote rippetoe).

Nah, I am pretty sure that they are magic. Straight up Copperfield ****. Get with the program.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Timbaland
Have you looked into fish oil? Fish oil is loaded with Omega-3 ***** acids. A lot of people in the wrestling/grappling community take this as the sport is tough on your joints. I notice a difference after supplementing with fish oil.

I forgot about fish oil. I used to use it a couple of years ago but I guess I just forgot about it. I didn't know it was good for joints.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been taking glucosamine sulfate for years thanks to my knee and shoulder. It definitely helps.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads