• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GentlemensFootwear.com (CARMINA, EDWARD GREEN, DRAKES, CROCKETT & JONES) - OFFICIAL AFFILIATE THREAD

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was hesitant when the burgundy museum calf was almost black but with that new stock I think it's essential that we move forward with a GMTO of model 10080 using it. That shoe will be killer!
I would love this shoe in a dark grey calf. I believe unipair has something like it and it's amazing
I agree and might have proposed it at some point. There wasn't much interest. And now I want that burgundy museum. I can't believe that only Steve and I are interested in this shoe! :confused:

aldenwear

Reaction score

I agree and might have proposed it at some point. There wasn't much interest. And now I want that burgundy museum. I can't believe that only Steve and I are interested in this shoe! :confused:

I would prefer a wholecut in burgundy museum calf but might be interested in this.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
How about doing that slick wingtip derby in the burgundy museum? Suits the style, I think. Perhaps without the brogueing? But please, a leather sole!

Last edited:

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am proposing doing the wingtip derby in plum museum. I can see that my last post might have been a little confusing. I would definitely do it on a leather sole. So far only Steve and I have expressed any interest.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
OK, yeah, I'm interested. How would you feel about it being an "austerity" version i.e. no brogueing? It's quite elegant and light, so I think it would suit the style. Rain last..or?

Steel28

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Another idea that I have is the following (same version as Epaulet made)

Oscar last, Natural Kudu antelope leather jumper boots with flat welt and combo of commando and leather sole

If no other takers for these amazing boots, I might try for a single MTO.

Last edited:

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I made a quick edit of what the 80387/Rain boot might look like in burgundy museum. The scale of the mottling may be a bit off, but, after seeing this I think it's a winner. I credit @patliean1 for suggesting this makeup.

@ScottMC , you are a genius. And so is @patliean1 .

I vote dainite - the whole idea of boots is all weather wear in preference to shoes. And from any view other than sole-up, dainite doesn't look any less dressy than leather. The Skoak makeup that this is based on has a synthetic outsole - sure doesn't make that boot look any less classy, IMO.

No, that's not the whole idea of boots. It's only part of the idea. The rest of the idea is (1) ankle support and (2) unparalleled awesomeness when you sit down, put your feet up, and your pents rise up revealing the full splendour of these magnificent boots.

As to the Rain naysayers, just look at the photo folks. It's the elegant outward flare of the Rain last at its widest point which "makes" this design, along with the wavy U-brogueing. This design is elegance personified, and for that reason - sorry to bore you all - my vote is again for leather sole, to avoid the invetible (if slight) increase in clunkiness bestowed by Dainite.

Does the boot have to be museum calf? What about antique burgundy calf? I've never been crazy about the museum calf fad

I'm happy with either.

Steve, I'm in. (But see if you can get six people wanting a leather sole! haha)

Last edited:

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think single MTO is x 1.5 of the base price.
They look great but SF has been on boot binge lately that's why is so difficult to get a GMTO going.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, that's not the whole idea of boots. It's only part of the idea. The rest of the idea is (1) ankle support and (2) unparalleled awesomeness when you sit down, put your feet up, and your pents rise up revealing the full splendour of these magnificent boots.

Okay - fair enough - not the whole idea. But for me it is an essential part of the idea.

Steel28

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think single MTO is x 1.5 of the base price.
They look great but SF has been on boot binge lately that's why is so difficult to get a GMTO going.

Thanks laufer, you are right. The price of a single MTO is a bit too much.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As to the Rain naysayers, just look at the photo folks. It's the elegant outward flare of the Rain last at its widest point which "makes" this design, along with the wavy U-brogueing. This design is elegance personified, and for that reason - sorry to bore you all - my vote is again for leather sole, to avoid the invetible (if slight) increase in clunkiness bestowed by Dainite.

Clunkiness you say? Hmmmmm.....
orig.jpg

I can soooooo live with clunkiness like this.
biggrin.gif

Last edited:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
see if you can get six people wanting a leather sole!

Considering how puritanical SF is on other matters of tradition, the insistence on plastic soles is surprisingly common. Must be the time of year, but still.

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't know Dainite was plastic. Assumed it was some kind of treated rubber.

Anyway I do own a baller pair of Carmina jumper boots with Dainite soles, and yes, there's no question they are a little thicker than a leather sole. No question at all.

The burgundy U-wings just look so svelte in that mock-up photo. I'm assuming it's a leather sole. If it's Dainite, then ok I stand corrected.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
I have some too, more than one, and I've even caved on the scotchgrain adelaide just to have it. I've also got three plastic-soled pairs of boots on order. But leather is nicest, and the smarter the shoe, the more true I think that is.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The burgundy U-wings just look so svelte in that mock-up photo. I'm assuming it's a leather sole. If it's Dainite, then ok I stand corrected.

It's not leather. I definitely recall it being synthetic - but it might have been that combination Tomir sole.

Even in leather, I don't like a super-thin sole in a boot. Even a dress boot. Just my preference.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads