GentlemensFootwear.com (CARMINA, EDWARD GREEN, DRAKES, CAPPELLI) - OFFICIAL AFFILIATE THREAD

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by steveyoo1983, Jun 2, 2013.

Tags:
  1. justinkapur

justinkapur Senior member

YES SO EXCITED FOR #2

2. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

I highly recommend prune juice.

3. justinkapur

Prune juice would have opposite effect. Wouldnt it make you go more?

4. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Question: perhaps this seems unreasonable at first glance, but would Carmina be prepared to vary the sole options on the same GMTO? Other smaller makers like Vass will do so at no charge, and it seems to me that it's an easy thing to do. The economies of scale that allow GMTO discounts are based on the hides ordered and whether a new pattern needs to be made. But once that's done, putting on a leather or Dainite, single or double sole, is no great administrative task any more than asking for a different size. Which reminds me of another question: do Carmina offer different width fittings on MTO?

5. golfinz

golfinz Senior member

No, carmina will not allow different sole options within the same GMTO. A new sole is considered its own MTO and would need 6 participants to waive the MTO surcharge.

6. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Has anyone actually asked? I mean, a GMTO by definition is a small, hands-on operation. And in production terms, unless someone's asking for a sole they don't normally stock, it shouldn't make any difference to them. Picking up a Dainite sole in a size 10 after a leather sole in a size 8.5, is no more difficult than picking up another leather sole in a size 10, etc. Especially as they are all Goodyear welted and soled on a machine anyway.

7. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

Your point is valid and we all wish it were possible. But it has been asked and - time and again - the answer is NO.

8. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

So be it. :)

9. steveyoo1983

steveyoo1983 Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

It is indeed very unfortunate but it has been asked and the answer was No :(
    Just like golfinz & budapest12 have mentioned above, they will consider a different sole choice a brand new MTO series

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014

10. steveyoo1983

steveyoo1983 Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

For those who of you who showed interest in MTO #2 Captoe Adelaide in Brown Scotchgrain, thank you for your interests!
    We have good 8 or 9 people interested at this point and few people has already confirmed on participating!

As far as the sole choice goes I know few are interested in leather sole option....I know who you are gents and I will keep you all updated :)

For those who showed interested in Single (slim profile) Dainite sole option, how do you all feel about the Tomir (half rubber & half leather hybrid) sole instead? Would that be a deal breaker?
    @justinkapur @watchidiot @Coxsackie @Todd V

[​IMG]

11. diadem

diadem Senior member

I'm good with Dainite or Tomir. Would prefer Dainite, though.

12. justinkapur

13. Todd V

Todd V Senior member

I would probably be ok with either but can anyone comment on the pros and cons of the Tomir vs Danite?

I have shoes on the Alden commando which I like, but I really want this to be an all-weather shoe.

If there is no difference in comfort, I'd probably lean towards the Dainite.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014

14. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Tomir - that's the one I was talking about, Steve.

Going for Dainite (esp. if storm-welted) will create a very bullet-proof wet weather shoe, but it will be heavy and chunky.

I wanted to keep this shoe sleek and dressy. Leather sole is therefore my #1 preference, but Tomir is an acceptable compromise as it improves the shoe's weatherproofing without increasing its chunkiness.

15. MSchapiro

MSchapiro Senior member

I have both soles so I can comment. Tomir is awesome, but at the same time it's not a full rubber sole. Dainite will be more flexible and more waterproof. The shoe on Dainite will also need no break in.

Personally I would go for Dainite since that would be an awesome wet weather show in Dainite. The Tomir is nice, but the middle will still get soaked and scuffed in a decent amount of wet.