• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GentlemensFootwear.com (CARMINA, EDWARD GREEN, DRAKES, CROCKETT & JONES) - OFFICIAL AFFILIATE THREAD

justinkapur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi gents!

As mentioned on the posting right above.

MTO#1 brown CXL jumper boots with Commando soles are now good to go!

MTO#2 Captoe Adelaide in brown scotch grain also had quite a few interests and we expect will close them by the end of the month :)

Feel free to send me a PM with any questions or would like to sign up! Cheers!
Steve

YES SO EXCITED FOR #2

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Question: perhaps this seems unreasonable at first glance, but would Carmina be prepared to vary the sole options on the same GMTO? Other smaller makers like Vass will do so at no charge, and it seems to me that it's an easy thing to do. The economies of scale that allow GMTO discounts are based on the hides ordered and whether a new pattern needs to be made. But once that's done, putting on a leather or Dainite, single or double sole, is no great administrative task any more than asking for a different size. Which reminds me of another question: do Carmina offer different width fittings on MTO?

golfinz

Reaction score
Question: perhaps this seems unreasonable at first glance, but would Carmina be prepared to vary the sole options on the same GMTO? Other smaller makers like Vass will do so at no charge, and it seems to me that it's an easy thing to do. The economies of scale that allow GMTO discounts are based on the hides ordered and whether a new pattern needs to be made. But once that's done, putting on a leather or Dainite, single or double sole, is no great administrative task any more than asking for a different size. Which reminds me of another question: do Carmina offer different width fittings on MTO?

No, carmina will not allow different sole options within the same GMTO. A new sole is considered its own MTO and would need 6 participants to waive the MTO surcharge.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Has anyone actually asked? I mean, a GMTO by definition is a small, hands-on operation. And in production terms, unless someone's asking for a sole they don't normally stock, it shouldn't make any difference to them. Picking up a Dainite sole in a size 10 after a leather sole in a size 8.5, is no more difficult than picking up another leather sole in a size 10, etc. Especially as they are all Goodyear welted and soled on a machine anyway.

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Has anyone actually asked?  I mean, a GMTO by definition is a small, hands-on operation.  And in production terms, unless someone's asking for a sole they don't normally stock, it shouldn't make any difference to them.  Picking up a Dainite sole in a size 10 after a leather sole in a size 8.5, is no more difficult than picking up another leather sole in a size 10, etc.  Especially as they are all Goodyear welted and soled on a machine anyway.
Your point is valid and we all wish it were possible. But it has been asked and - time and again - the answer is NO.

steveyoo1983

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
No, carmina will not allow different sole options within the same GMTO. A new sole is considered its own MTO and would need 6 participants to waive the MTO surcharge.

It is indeed very unfortunate but it has been asked and the answer was No :(
Just like golfinz & budapest12 have mentioned above, they will consider a different sole choice a brand new MTO series

Last edited:

steveyoo1983

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
All right so just to sum up things here just in case you are joining us!

Here are 2 MTO ideas with few interests at this time!

MTO #1.

Jumper boots / Oscar Last
Brown CXL
Commando Sole
Stormwelt

(pictured below in shell cordovan but our MTO will be in Brown CXL)

MTO #2.

Captoe Adelaide / Rain Last
Brown Scotchgrain
Sole TBA (I think the crowd was split between leather / dainite)

This style below....

In this brown scotchgrain

Kindly send me a PM if you would like to join or have any questions about sizing, pricing & any other details!
Have a great week gents!
Steve

For those who of you who showed interest in MTO #2 Captoe Adelaide in Brown Scotchgrain, thank you for your interests!
We have good 8 or 9 people interested at this point and few people has already confirmed on participating!

As far as the sole choice goes I know few are interested in leather sole option....I know who you are gents and I will keep you all updated :)

For those who showed interested in Single (slim profile) Dainite sole option, how do you all feel about the Tomir (half rubber & half leather hybrid) sole instead? Would that be a deal breaker?
@justinkapur @watchidiot @Coxsackie @Todd V

Todd V

Reaction score

For those who of you who showed interest in MTO #2 Captoe Adelaide in Brown Scotchgrain, thank you for your interests!
We have good 8 or 9 people interested at this point and few people has already confirmed on participating!

For those who showed interested in Single (slim profile) Dainite sole option, how do you all feel about the Tomir (half rubber & half leather hybrid) sole instead? Would that be a deal breaker?

I would probably be ok with either but can anyone comment on the pros and cons of the Tomir vs Danite?

I have shoes on the Alden commando which I like, but I really want this to be an all-weather shoe.

If there is no difference in comfort, I'd probably lean towards the Dainite.

Last edited:

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tomir - that's the one I was talking about, Steve.

Going for Dainite (esp. if storm-welted) will create a very bullet-proof wet weather shoe, but it will be heavy and chunky.

I wanted to keep this shoe sleek and dressy. Leather sole is therefore my #1 preference, but Tomir is an acceptable compromise as it improves the shoe's weatherproofing without increasing its chunkiness.

MSchapiro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have both soles so I can comment. Tomir is awesome, but at the same time it's not a full rubber sole. Dainite will be more flexible and more waterproof. The shoe on Dainite will also need no break in.

Personally I would go for Dainite since that would be an awesome wet weather show in Dainite. The Tomir is nice, but the middle will still get soaked and scuffed in a decent amount of wet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads