• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Foundations of understanding of the basics of suits

Ockweird

Reaction score
Greetings!

In the near future I am going to have a bespoke suit made for myself, but I have a problem ... I have almost no knowledge on the topic of suits in their entirety!! I am not exactly sure what I need to know, as I know nothing (a part from the whole super s numbering)!! Therefore, I need knowledge!! Anything that could help me become that man who visits his tailor and can just go: "I need it to be like this, this, that, and that .... oh and also, I want this, but not that, and blah blah blah .... "; you get the idea.

Seeing how this topic is regarding the suit itself and nothing specific about it, the topic is pretty much as broad as it can get ... I imagine this has been discussed many times before on this forum and aaac's as well. Therefore, seeing how the answers I seek are already highly articulated and organized somewhere on the interwebz, I was hoping I could get some links to get me started. Any help is appreciated!

Oh, and an update on my lasting posting about the speech I was writing on quality footwear: if I was just being graded on the speech itself (as in non-verbal; the physical material), I would have got an A, as I actually figured out a way to make my topic significant for my particular type of audience .... but alas, I got a C as I lost one letter grade for not staying within my allotted time-frame, and another letter grade for my inadequate delivery (I spent so much time editing my speech and researching information I did not need I left myself almost no time to actually familiarize myself with it to where I could keep up a good flow, focus on eye contact, etc). Well, I am happy that I learned so much on the topic, so I consider the outcome a 'win'.

Thank you for your time.

Yours truly,

some guy [Ockweird]

=/: v} D

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads