• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Overcoat Under $500

mosivy

Reaction score
I’m a college student looking for my first overcoat. I would like something that’s a medium length that can be worn both over a suit as well as over chinos or jeans: a classic piece with a modern fit. Grey would be preferable (I think), as would a price point below $500.

I really like this one from Suit Supply, but it’s sold out in my size (38R), and the company will not be restocking.
http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/coats/grey-overcoat/J247.html?start=33&cgid=Coats

This Eidos Napoli item is also out of stock in my size. The fabric looks beautiful.
https://www.carsonstreetclothiers.com/shop/clothing

This Mantova coat also looks nice, but it’s too pricey and I want a plain back.
http://www.nomanwalksalone.com/inde.../grey-donegal-tweed-virgin-wool-overcoat.html

I’ve also seen some nice items on Yoox, but I never know the brands so I don’t know what to buy.

In short, I’m looking for an above-the-knee first overcoat, preferably in grey, for under $500. Thanks for your help.

guccihomme

Reaction score
Before I joined SF I purchased a kennith cole wool coat like you described from Macy's ~$250 on sale. It retains heat in cold weather and is good at blocking wind. There are better coats out there and your budget is higher.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

TOstyle

Reaction score
Semantics, since it seems like he's cool with having something that will work with a suit jacket but also casually. Overcoats typically are not good dual-purpose garments.

mosivy

Reaction score
I appreciate the help.

My favorite of the suggestions is definitely the T.M. Lewin coat. I prefer that design to the peacoat style. I'm trying to decide whether it's a good value at $400. Any other ideas are welcome and appreciated.

Ben31

Reaction score
I purchased a charcoal wool/cashmere blend overcoat from J. HIlburn with the Loro Piana storm system in in it for $485 and I absolutely love it! Great cut on it and it fits over my suits and looks great with jeans.

Spark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you know your measurements, then Fleabay is the way to go. You'll have to get a good fix on what kind of coat and details you want and you will have to hunt a bit, but the deals are there and you will wind up with better quality and a lower price.

Case in point: The other day I stumbled across a killer "cavalry officer's overcoat" from Corneliani for Polo that was amazing and only $250 and I bought my camel hair Polo coat from the bay (NWT retailing for $1800) for less than 250 shipped.

Overcoats are an "investment" piece - a good one will last forever or damn close to it - so choose wisely.

rlx

Reaction score
Try JCrew. There are some nice dress coats on sale now -- in charcoal -- in size 38R.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads