• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dry clean before alteration?

ClaretandBlue

Reaction score
I purchased a jacket from someone that's going to need a bit of alteration. It was sent in the mail, and as one would expect, arrived rather wrinkled. I was going to bring this in to be altered, but should it be dry cleaned, or at least pressed (can you press a jacket?) first, to get the wrinkles out? Part of me thinks I should, and part of me thinks it's a bit over the top.. What say you?
biggrin.gif

dv3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ordered a suit online and had it pressed, I am meeting the tailor on Saturday. Seemed like the logical thing to do.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Don't bother, just go to the tailor, ask him to press as part of the work to be done.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Or...just ask for the work and I'm sure he'll press it.

dv3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The suit I ordered seemed wrinkled to the extent that I wasn't fully confident it layed well enough for accurate alterations without a press. I think the OP is in a similar situation.

Plus, we are talking like $10 to feel confident about altering a suit that costs perhaps 100x+ more.

ClaretandBlue

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dv3
The suit I ordered seemed wrinkled to the extent that I wasn't fully confident it layed well enough for accurate alterations without a press. I think the OP is in a similar situation.

Plus, we are talking like $10 to feel confident about altering a suit that costs perhaps 100x+ more.

Yeah, that was my main concern, was with the wrinkles the alteration wouldn't be accurate, or the tailor would just look at me like I was crazy and tell me to have the wrinkles taken care of first.
eh.gif

Guess it doesn't hurt to just bring it over and see what they say.

Mild Mannered

Reaction score
Personally I would have it pressed beforeand. Imagine you are the tailor and someone brings a garment to you for alterations that looks like a rumpled dish rag. That customer demonstrates they don't take their clothing very seriously. How serious a job would you do then if you were that tailor?
If the wrinkles are in the same area you wish to have altered, then do both of you a courtesy and have it pressed before. A pressed garment goes to the tailor, and whatever work he does on it, will be easier to examine than if the work was done on a wrinkled garment. That's what I do anyway.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you came to my shop and explained you had just received a jacket that was shipped to you and it is wrinkled I would think " no big!" It may need a touch up and I would do that before fitting it.
If it needs dry cleaning for a reason other than pressing, do it first. Tailor is more offended by a soiled garment than a wrinkled garment.

ClaretandBlue

Reaction score
Thanks guys! Seeing as how it is second hand, it's probably prudent to have it dry cleaned first. I think there's about 10 dry cleaners within walking distance of my office, so it shouldn't be too much of a hassle.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads