• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dark blue linen suit - should i or should i not

sloaney

Reaction score
i paid about 200 pounds for a blue linen suit from a retailer, fits well, just having the pants and the jacket sleeves shortened.

i am having second thoughts (practicality of linen, and specifically in a dark blue colour, and how often i will wear it) - should i ask them to stop altering and exchange it for something else instead?

sorry if this is a weird question

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
linen suit is fine, in dark blue it is not unless you are very stylish and plan on wearing it with a pink/white shirt, unbuttonned to the chest and some lighter brown shoes/belt. It's something you are going to wear in the summer and it's dark so you need to bring it to life. Dark blue linen items usually last through a couple of sale markdowns at all stores as they are not the most popular items.

sloaney

Reaction score
thanks for your thoughts

i had originally just planned on getting the jacket, as i thought it would a nice item to have to wear alongside jeans, khakis etc for the warmer months

but the pants cost about 60 pounds extra so i bought that as well.......

would the jacket itself be more versatile?

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Appropriately enough given your username, I find it a dark navy linen suit a very sloaney sort of item. Unbuttoned white OCBD, boat shoes of some variety, and you're set. Not my cup of tea, personally.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I love linen suits. To me, cream, tobacco and navy are the classics.

jamesbond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got a Borrelli linen suit in an off blue, its almost like a sea-blue. I would have no qualms about wearing a navy blue linen suit. Its a classic color and unless you live and operate in an air-conditioned box then linen, cotton and silk are normal summer fabrics. The only color i would prefer over navy would be a cream or tan color.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sloaney
thanks for your thoughts

i had originally just planned on getting the jacket, as i thought it would a nice item to have to wear alongside jeans, khakis etc for the warmer months

but the pants cost about 60 pounds extra so i bought that as well.......

would the jacket itself be more versatile?

you don't strike me as someone who is very adventurous when it comes to clothing (not an insult) so I would leave the pants. I don't think you'll be happy with this as a suit.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I love linen suits. To me, cream, tobacco and navy are the classics.

They're the widely accepted classic colours, sure.

Personally I find cream lovely, tobacco acceptably nice and navy linen less than pleasant. If I wanted a casual navy summer suit, I think I'd choose a fresco.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I like blue linen, but slightly lighter than navy. I have a length that I will post a pic of later today.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Linen is one of my favorite summer fabrics. However, similar to cotton suits, I prefer natural or khaki colors, not navy. There's something about a navy cotton or linen suit that just doesn't seem right to me.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My only linen suit is 12oz navy (but not the darkest shade-- a midnight linen that didn't reflect any light back would be very odd-looking). When NYC is a furnace/sauna, it's about the only way to go. Oatmeal or mid-grey would be the other options, and I may try to get one of those made up for next summer. Those will be quicker to show grime and wrinkles, I suspect.

Petrol blue would also be good, but not necessarily more useful than the grey.

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is not reason you could not wear the jacket and trousers separately. I have one pair of navy and one pair of slightly lighter blue odd linen trousers for summer which are both worn often with cotton and/or linen button downs.

Tangfastic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've a navy linen suit I'm very happy with and find very versatile. I even wore it 'out of season' to a job interview so I wouldn't worry about overheating and sweating buckets with nerves! Its pretty new and uncreased so far, so being dark its not even noticeable that its linen without fairly close inspection.
I may have another interview next week, and it will be a choice between the linen again (even in February) and a fine navy pinstripe.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
if wrinkles bother you then call them now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads