• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Critique/help with sportcoat and blazer fit

dk123

Reaction score
I have been trying to buy a new suit and a sportcoat or two for the last couple months without much success. I am difficult to fit, I think, in that my chest is about a 40r, but my shoulders are sloped and narrow, and I have had some injury issues with the right shoulder, so that the shoulders are not an even height. Also, while my waist is about a 33, my rear end is on the large side, so that the vents in most jackets dont close properly. It seems that my best bet is something with a narrow and soft shoulder, but it is really hard to find anything reasonably priced that meets those criteria. If I size down so the shoulders fit in an otr jacket, then the waist and rear are too tight, and the chest may be a bit tight as well...and if it's a suit, the pants may not fit. I don't want to spend the money for anything mtm, so I have been trying to come up with something otr to little avail....it seems the best option so far is RL blue label. I am going to (try to) attach some pictures of some jackets I have been debating about, in the hopes that I can get some advice about whether any of these can work with alterations.

This is an Arnold Brant blazer in 38r:
38r1.jpg

38r2.jpg

38r3.jpg

This is the same blazer in 39r:
39r1.jpg

39r2.jpg

39r3.jpg

This is a Brooks Brothers sportcoat in 38r, I feel like the fit in the shoulders is very good, but the rear vent is flaring comically. There is a fair amount of extra material, so I'm wondering if I have the waist let out if it might close up, although I'm thinking maybe I should just return it:
b38r1.jpg

b38r2.jpg

b38r3.jpg

Anyway, thanks for any advice...if any one has a good ass-reduction surgeon...let me know.
smile.gif

paulwinston

Reaction score
When buying something that is off-the-rack you must fit the largest part - in your case your seat. The amount of out let in ready made clothing limits how much any thing can be let out. The areas that need reduction can usually be accomodated. Most retail establishments do not do major alterations well- either because they do not know how or because they are not willing to do them. ( Major alterations are what I call "Lose Lose" situations. You are charged what you think is a lot of money and the time it takes to do the alteration properly means the cost is barely covered.) When an individual has a prominent seat, side vents are not reccommended. Sometime the alteration cost can have the garment approach what you would have paid for a MTM garment that would fit you better. Good luck in your search. Paul Winston Winston Tailors/ Chipp 2 http://www.chipp2.com/blog/

cvac

Reaction score
Return the BB no matter what. There is no way that can be made to fit. I would say the same thing about the 38R blazer.

Unless you are comfortable wearing a jacket that is pretty loose in the shoulders and back you are probably going to have to go the MTM route.

dk123

Reaction score
Thank you gentlemen for your help. You have kind of confirmed what I was thinking. Here are some pictures of the jacket of a Polo tuxedo that came today. It is a 40r, and I think it's a pretty good fit. The pictures are a bit grainy, but what alterations would be recommended for this? The pants seem to fit well. Also, are there any other brands that tend to have a similar fit to the polo stuff?
polo1.jpg
polo2.jpg
polo3.jpg
Thanks again!

cvac

Reaction score
The pics on the tux are way grainy, but from what I can see it still looks like the fit is off. The problem with all these jackets is they are not cut to accommodate your body in the torso area just below the waist and backside. Look at the side view. It doesn't look right.

I imagine you are going to need a very skilled tailor to cut a suit that fits you properly.

dk123

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cvac
The pics on the tux are way grainy, but from what I can see it still looks like the fit is off. The problem with all these jackets is they are not cut to accommodate your body in the torso area just below the waist and backside. Look at the side view. It doesn't look right.

I imagine you are going to need a very skilled tailor to cut a suit that fits you properly.

I retook the pictures.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads