• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Could you guys please offer some advice on the fit of this suit?

deaz

Reaction score
What alterations should I do to this suit? Or should I get a completely different size? It's a suit supply 23 short and therefore the lowest size so I'm not sure I could go any lower. I already plan on changing the dress shirt as it does not fit.
http://imgur.com/a/tNunX

ThomGault

Reaction score
I'd return it based on unappealing cut. High button stance, short lapels, gaping quarters, and what I presume is a high hem are all unfixable and lead to problems with fabric drape, particularly in the stomach area. For more detailed observations, you need to put in a pair of shoes and make the trousers faux-cuffed to see how they look. (And, of course the sleeves look off, too.)

deaz

Reaction score
I'd return it based on unappealing cut. High button stance, short lapels, gaping quarters, and what I presume is a high hem are all unfixable and lead to problems with fabric drape, particularly in the stomach area. For more detailed observations, you need to put in a pair of shoes and make the trousers faux-cuffed to see how they look. (And, of course the sleeves look off, too.)
Damn that is a lot more problems than I thought it was. I thought the sleeve length and pants could be easily tailored but you raised some good points. This was the suit supply napoli (specifically: http://eu.suitsupply.com/en/suits/napoli-blue-plain/P517823.html), do you think I should go for a different model or should I just change companies? Thanks for the help.

ThomGault

Reaction score
Suit Supply uses a trendy cut on many of their models, which causes the problems I mentioned. It leads to one's torso appearing shorter and gut appearing bigger (although it doesn't look like you have the latter problem.)
Basically, classicly-fitting suits include jackets that fully cover your rear and pants that dont sit on your hip bone/aren't nut-hugging...and almost all Suit Supply products I've seen violate those ideas (there are a few SF members who showed better-designed suits from SS, but 99% don't.)
The wrinkling all over the sleeves is just a further indication of problems. Suits are supposed to make the wearer look nice, elegant, and well put together, and one of the main elements is good drape of the fabric over your body. When a suit fits you well, there's won't be wrinkles; conversely, if you see wrinkles, it's a problem that should be fixed (if possible.) And keep in mind that shoulders and chest fits are difficult/expensive to alter.

Suitluvr

Reaction score
That suit certainly doesn't fit nice. It's too tight looking in the gut and sleeves really look terrible. The pants certainly need to be properly hemmed to your size as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads