• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cotton Khakis

leadbelly2550

Reaction score
I decided, not terribly long ago, to upgrade/update the khakis in my closet. No pleats, no 'no iron cotton.' Purchased one pair from Jack Donnelly, another from Bill's Khakis, sort of. (the pair from Bill's was a 'new with tags' original twill, half the price on the website). Both are the most relaxed versions, plenty of leg room. I cycle a lot and don't like tight pants. Both companies have been buffeted by difficult economic circumstances since their past glory days.

I have and wear a few pair of Patagonia cotton trousers that are really on the border between khakis and canvas - comfortable, informal, well-worn, and extremely durable, but also very casual. I also have and treasure a pair of Murray's Nantucket Reds, which are excellent, but those have a niche window. The khakis I'm thinking about are the ones I would wear with a blazer and a decent pair of shoes. For a long time, I wore an old pair from J Crew, cuffs starting to fray, and a few pair of Eddie Bauer 'legend wash' khakis. Eddie Bauer did an OK job with them, but they aren't exactly what I have in mind for a traditional twill cotton khaki trouser. I donated those pair to charity.

I can't speak for the past, but both brands, in their current iteration, are a clear and positive step up from what I was wearing. Both are made from 8.5 oz cotton twill, and both are available in different size/fit options for different-sized people, from slim to relaxed. Waist bands are sturdy to the point of overkill; pockets are deep. both appear to be well-constructed. The Donnelly khakis are a cut that fits me just slightly better, but they're both good options for me. so far, worth the price. whether they will withstand the test of time remains to be seen.

Panama

Reaction score
Khaki is a colour not a design. Do you mean Chinos, Cargos or Five pocket pants?

TimothyF

Reaction score
Khaki is a colour not a design. Do you mean Chinos, Cargos or Five pocket pants?

You must not be from Stateside then. In traditional American usage, khakis (plural) refers to dress trousers made of the khaki (color) chino cloth.

OP: You can also consider Orvis Ultimate Khakis. Heavier cloth at 9.5 oz, in two fits, and with pleated and plain front options.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics