• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comfortable Shoes for jeans/work?

sium09

Reaction score
Hello Everyone. I have read the other shoe threads related to jeans but didn't really find the answer I was looking for.

I work in a casual office, I wear jeans/khakis with polo or button down shirts. I already have a pair of black lace-up shoes from Rockport that work well with my dark jeans and khakis but I am in the need of some DARK BROWN shoes and need some advice...

What I'd like is Dark Brown shoes, maybe laceups or slipons? I have looked at some loafers but all have really soft leather I am afraid I will rip up really fast. I am looking for a shoe I can wear to the office and then out at night with a dark pair of jeans....

I'd like to stay under $200 if possible and do not want anything to shiney... Oh and something I can go try on at a store somewhere (Chicago) would be great but not necessary.

Any suggestions/advice is appreciated!

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i wear jeans and a jacket to work and i love eccos. i started with rockports, too, but eccos seem to be much better made.

agavilanes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I agree with the chukka/desert boot recommendation. Versatile, classic, nice. You should be able to find a reasonable chukka on the B&S forum here for $200.

wetnose

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sium09
Hello Everyone. I have read the other shoe threads related to jeans but didn't really find the answer I was looking for. I work in a casual office, I wear jeans/khakis with polo or button down shirts. I already have a pair of black lace-up shoes from Rockport that work well with my dark jeans and khakis but I am in the need of some DARK BROWN shoes and need some advice... What I'd like is Dark Brown shoes, maybe laceups or slipons? I have looked at some loafers but all have really soft leather I am afraid I will rip up really fast. I am looking for a shoe I can wear to the office and then out at night with a dark pair of jeans.... I'd like to stay under $200 if possible and do not want anything to shiney... Oh and something I can go try on at a store somewhere (Chicago) would be great but not necessary. Any suggestions/advice is appreciated!
The chelsea boots from Banana Republic are an excellent deal: http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse...scid=514550012 They look goodyear welted, which means that you can replace the sole when it wears out. Wait for a sale and they might even go lower.

stant62

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just bought a pair of PRL Kenleys with a danite sole... pretty comfortable.

wmjarrell

Reaction score
sorry for the double post. should have kept reading before getting excited about the suede. doh.

the referenced chelseas would be a nice change of pace. Actually, it's probably the other way around... The chelseas would be a good standard (although less interesting, very versatile) and the suede would make a nice change of pace. the moral of this story is don't come to the SF with shoe questions unless you're cool with spending double what you had planned when it's all said and done. (I speak from experience...)

Reaction score
Comfortable casual look - Tod's Gommini Buckle Loafer - (color) brown
A bit of interest - Mark Nason Downing Loafer - (color) i think this only comes in brown
A bit of the distressed look - John Varvatos Harrison Oxford - (color) Dark Ghurka
More of a "sporty look" - CO-OP Barneys New York Two-Tone Chukka - (color) both colors have brown in them

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Take a look at the Quoddy bluchers. They are available in a rich dark brown color that looks good with dark jeans.

The Clarks boots that others have recommended might be an ok option too.

I'm not so keen on all the recommendations for loafers and oxfords. When worn with jeans these styles of shoes have a tendency to look like something an old man might wear. I've seen posters on styleforum rocking this look and pulling it off fine, but I've seen a far larger number in my workplace whom fail dismally with this look.

Jeans are inherently casual wear, so best to pair them with shoes that are casual such as sneakers. Shoes like the Quoddy and Clarks are a good choices because they're like the next step up from a pair of simple sneakers. It is hard to go wrong when pairing such shoes with jeans.

Whatever you do, don't buy another pair of Rockports. While they are very comfortable shoes that hold up well to abuse, they are quite ugly and clunky. Definitely not stylish.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads