• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

College dropouts...

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
where are you now?
eh.gif

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i wish i was still in college so i could drop out. i finished over a year ago and it hasnt done a damn thing for me

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Kas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dropped out of first year law at uni, now in my third year marketing bachelor - just a 6 month break between these 2 courses because the marketing bachelor didn't start until september.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kas
Dropped out of first year law at uni, now in my third year marketing bachelor - just a 6 month break between these 2 courses because the marketing bachelor didn't start until september.

Dude you need to change your avatar. I thought this was Thomas posting and was like, WTF???
laugh.gif

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1. It's a long story but I was jumping between the "working schmuck" and "boho" paths for several years until I just up and left the "conventional life" at age 25. Not necessarily by choice either...I came close to but never got a degree, so picking up that conventional path again seemed too difficult and after some feeble attempts I just moved on and never looked back. Since that time I've had a variety of jobs, too many to list, but will say that they were all either fun, learning, or character-building experiences and I'm glad that I did them all. Do I wish I was more financially secure? Yes, but one of the things I've learned is that so do you. It is human nature to always want more and to live on that edge...the more $ you make, the more you want, the more you spend. I sold mortgages for a while and it became pretty clear to me that most (like everyone) were just a few paychecks away from losing their homes. So the reality is that, with the exception of a very few, most people do not save and will never attain "security". Do I wish I got my degree? Absolutely fricking yes because I know I missed a lot of cool opportunities without it. But I'm a very intelligent and a sometimes personable chap that has never really had problems finding work. Others might not be as lucky. Do I wish I had a career? HELL NO! I can't imagine any field of work that is interesting enough and pays enough for me to commit a majority of my life to it. It is a beautiful thing to go to work and let all of the bullshit just slide right off of you because you can walk away at any time. This is how I define freedom and it makes life not just bearable, but easy and fun. Co-workers always ask why I'm always in such a good mood, and I always wonder if I would put a bullet in my head if I was in their shoes (which I am but so not). Now I've certainly not settled for a "boho lifestyle" but I'm no Big Timer either (and that is a phrase that really annoys me for whatever reason). Which brings me to the hardest part of choosing an unconventional path like I have. I never know how to answer questions like "What do you do for a living?" and "How do you pay your bills?" and "Don't you get bored?" and it's hard to respond to people when they refer to my lack of ambition. With the exception of a couple of the early years I've not worked more than 6 months or so per year since I was 25. I was fortunate enough to get a great deal on a great house very young but was never given anything (as in I paid for my own college while I worked my full-time job). If I ever got into a "jam" I jumped into the seat of a truck for a few months or got a bartending gig or...whatever. I buy my tickets at Hot Tix or craigslist, get my clothes off of B&S, drive a 16 year old car (300ZX baby!) and spend most of my "vacations" at my own private lake...so I've made life pretty inexpensive for myself. I've also lucked into some jobs that compensate me very well for my time. As far as college goes my thoughts are that any "general" degree is complete BS as far as doing a job. It's more about showing you can commit and follow through that will open doors. If I was going to complete a degree in today's world it would be where the job prospects are...in health care or tech. Pretty much any other field leads to that $40-50K job leading to nowhere, in my experience. If my P's were paying for it, great. Otherwise I would spend my money on a trade school or just jump into the workforce. I know a lot of people my age who make a lot less money in a year than I make in 3 months and are still $30-40K in student loan debt...barely making ends meet. And Pio, with the utmost respect, most people seem to get stuck in their grind and an unchanging paradigm. My hat's off to you for being so frank and believe me, I've been through some tough times, the grass always looks greener my friend.
eh.gif

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a friend who's a high school dropout who's done pretty well for himself. Nothing spectacular, but he's doing well. Here is the catch though, he has an amazing drive - he only dropped out of HS because he had a bunch of businesses going, some legitimate, some not. He also has more common sense and streetsmarts than most people I know.

jdcpa

Reaction score
^^ I've know a few people like this too, both high school and university drop outs. The ones that are successful tend to be the ones that dropped out because they are driven and impatient to start real businesses or accomplish some goal.

I also have noticed it depends what level of schooling a person drops out from. The people I knew who dropped out of high school were on average much less successful than those who left college. The ones who left law school in the first you really were not any different from those who graduated except that they didn't work in the law. Their careers usually fit their needs and expectations equally well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads