• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Class reunion attire question

scrubs23

Reaction score
Hi all,

If this is the wrong place to post this I apologize. My 5 year class reunion is coming up next month and I'd like to look presentable. The agenda is an outdoor picnic/drinks in the afternoon followed by bar hopping (yes, we're young). I don't anticipate many people going over the top with their clothing as this is a small Midwest town. Note that I'm on a professional student's budget (read: I'm broke). I'm considering the following outfit and would love to hear any critiques:

Trousers: http://www.bonobos.com/blue-slim-chambray-pants-for-men
Shirt: http://www.bonobos.com/yellow-oxford-shirts-for-men-rhodes-collar-slim-fit
Loafers: http://www.shoes.com/en-US/Product/06271-5191458/Giorgio+Brutini/Wine/Mens+47838.aspx
Watch (white face): http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=24086753&parentid=M_ACC_WATCHES
Watch strap: http://www.cheapestnatostraps.com/products/nato-strap-regemental-navy-yellow-18-20
Sunglasses: tortoise shell aviators with reddish-brown lenses

1) Would a leather watch strap look better?
2) How about a bow tie incorporating silver, yellow, and/or blue?
3) I'm not a huge fan of the loafers' low vamp and may return them. Thoughts on these loafers?
4) Say I ditch the yellow shirt and wear a white or yellow slim fit polo instead. Is that doable with these chambray trousers?

Tons of questions...

Many thanks to anyone ambitious enough to tackle them!

Last edited:

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome to Styleforum, scrubs23.
Here is some Saturday night advice. You're putting too much thought into this. The baller thing to do would be not attend at all.
If you do attend, wear exactly what you were wearing 5 years ago, approach former teachers and say, 'I am what you made me'.
If you are trying to pick up women you missed out on the first time around, wear chino's, a sport jacket, a light button-down collared shirt (no tie) and some half decent shoes.

Last edited:

scrubs23

Reaction score
Should have guessed that mentioning a class reunion would get that response.

Does anyone have comments on the outfit? If not, the moderator should feel free to delete the thread and I'll ask elsewhere.

scrubs23

Reaction score
I would go for darker pants. are you going to wear a jacket?
No, I wasn't planning on it. It's likely to be 80+ degrees. I'm not married to that yellow shirt, but I love the trousers. I just wanted to throw some color in there. What color shirt would work better?

On the subject of chinos--I don't own a pair, and would buy them for the occasion instead of these chambray trousers if I knew I'd wear them often. I'll wear the trousers to work, however.

Last edited:

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Frankly your suggestions are nonsense and MoL is closer to the truth - even if you do not like it.

You are over thinking this, firstly there is no need whatever to buy "outfit" and certainly thinking down to level of watch and strap is madness. The bow tie beyond words.

Get real, dark jeans, casual shirt and everything else that you wear day to day.

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Frankly your suggestions are nonsense and MoL is closer to the truth - even if you do not like it.

You are over thinking this, firstly there is no need whatever to buy "outfit" and certainly thinking down to level of watch and strap is madness. The bow tie beyond words.

Get real, dark jeans, casual shirt and everything else that you wear day to day.
+1 to this. If you're this concerned about making an impression at a class reunion, then you must have been an absolute nobody the first time around. Just wear a nice outfit that you already own and feel good in. If you need to pick something up, then fine, but this isn't middle school Picture Day son.

Last edited:

anginaprinzmetal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
by the way those shoes are horrendous... get some boat shoes or pennys with boat sole... and don't overthink this

scrubs23

Reaction score
Here is some Saturday night advice. You're putting too much thought into this. The baller thing to do would be not attend at all.
If you do attend, wear exactly what you were wearing 5 years ago, approach former teachers and say, 'I am what you made me'.
If you are trying to pick up women you missed out on the first time around, wear chino's, a sport jacket, a light button-down collared shirt (no tie) and some half decent shoes.
1) Class president and in charge of the damn thing. Probably should attend.
2) Since when do teachers attend class reunions?
3) I'm not trying to pick up women. I'm trying to look nice and asked for advice on tweaking that outfit. If you couldn't do that, why respond? Am I supposed to care that you sound bitter about your high school experience? Do pardon me. I'm clearly not the baller you are, Man of Lint.

1) If they're "nonsense," then please offer something that looks better with the trousers. If I wanted to wear chinos, I'd buy chinos. I addressed why chinos are less practical for me in an earlier post.
2) It's "beyond words" to match clothes? Did you hate high school as well?
3) I wear trousers every day to clinic. Not sure why you'd think I wear jeans all the time. I'm always at work, not galavanting around town.

+1 to this. If you're this concerned about making an impression at a class reunion, then you must have been an absolute nobody the first time around. Just wear a nice outfit that you already own and feel good in. If you need to pick something up, then fine, but this isn't middle school Picture Day son.
Again, class president. Thanks for talking down to me and making sweeping assumptions about my life though. I'm sure you were the **** in high school. You seem cool.

by the way those shoes are horrendous... get some boat shoes or pennys with boat sole... and don't overthink this
Thank you for actually addressing the outfit! I'll look into this.

Clearly I never should have mentioned the occasion. God forbid I'd put thought into an outfit to see old friends from high school.

**Moderator, please close this thread and my account. I've seen the types of personalities which frequent this forum and won't be returning.

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1) Class president and in charge of the damn thing. Probably should attend.
2) Since when do teachers attend class reunions?
3) I'm not trying to pick up women. I'm trying to look nice and asked for advice on tweaking that outfit. If you couldn't do that, why respond? Am I supposed to care that you sound bitter about your high school experience? Do pardon me. I'm clearly not the baller you are, Man of Lint.

1) If they're "nonsense," then please offer something that looks better with the trousers. If I wanted to wear chinos, I'd buy chinos. I addressed why chinos are less practical for me in an earlier post.
2) It's "beyond words" to match clothes? Did you hate high school as well?
3) I wear trousers every day to clinic. Not sure why you'd think I wear jeans all the time. I'm always at work, not galavanting around town.

Again, class president. Thanks for talking down to me and making sweeping assumptions about my life though. I'm sure you were the **** in high school. You seem cool.
That sure makes for a better description than...

Quote: ...and you wonder why you got such flippant responses....high school class president
worship2.gif

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In general, buying an outfit is not a good plan. Ideally you should look at your wardrobe as a series of pieces that can be mixed and matched together. Even if you want to shop for an outfit, think about how versatile each piece is and don't buy something if it will only work for that outfit.

Trousers - Not a fan of the chambray. Either go with nice jeans or something a bit dressier. Have you considered a decent pair of linen trousers or linen / cotton trousers? They can easily be had for less than the price of the trousers you linked to. Linen can look great in navy, lighter blue, cream and tan.

Shirt - Oxford cloth is fine for a more casual outfit, though I don't love it during the summer. If you go with oxford cloth, I think white, light blue or pink would all be preferable.

Shoes - Look at a pair of loafers from somewhere like Allen Edmonds that will still look good after 3-4 wearings. Medium to dark brown is good. Lighter colors can work for summer but if you are on a budget you probably want more versatile shoes.

Watch - Lurk around and find a decent watch in your price range or skip the watch. A lot of people do not wear watches these days and a Timex from Urban Outfitters is not elegant at all. You're better off using the money to upgrade your shoes and using your cell phone to tell the time.

JeremyJordan

Reaction score
Hi all,

If this is the wrong place to post this I apologize. My 5 year class reunion is coming up next month and I'd like to look presentable. The agenda is an outdoor picnic/drinks in the afternoon followed by bar hopping (yes, we're young). I don't anticipate many people going over the top with their clothing as this is a small Midwest town. Note that I'm on a professional student's budget (read: I'm broke). I'm considering the following outfit and would love to hear any critiques:

Trousers: http://www.bonobos.com/blue-slim-chambray-pants-for-men
Shirt: http://www.bonobos.com/yellow-oxford-shirts-for-men-rhodes-collar-slim-fit
Loafers: http://www.shoes.com/en-US/Product/06271-5191458/Giorgio+Brutini/Wine/Mens+47838.aspx
Watch (white face): http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=24086753&parentid=M_ACC_WATCHES
Watch strap: http://www.cheapestnatostraps.com/products/nato-strap-regemental-navy-yellow-18-20
Sunglasses: tortoise shell aviators with reddish-brown lenses

1) Would a leather watch strap look better?
2) How about a bow tie incorporating silver, yellow, and/or blue?
3) I'm not a huge fan of the loafers' low vamp and may return them. Thoughts on these loafers?
4) Say I ditch the yellow shirt and wear a white or yellow slim fit polo instead. Is that doable with these chambray trousers?

Tons of questions...

Many thanks to anyone ambitious enough to tackle them!
I'll throw out my opinion here, but keep in mind it's ultimately your decision. If you aren't thrilled with it, don't get it.

I actually really dig those chambray pants (I'd go with the slim straights), and the oxford shirt would look nice with it. This outfit will have a nice laid back, but classy vibe going on. I'd say be bold, and go for the color. Just keep it simple and don't try to complicate things. If you're going to be outside, check out Warby Parker to get some killer shades for a steal.

For the shoes, I'd recommend something along the lines of Sebago DocksidesI'm not a huge fan of the shoes you picked out.

As for watches, they just aren't my thing and I go without them.

You could wear a polo instead of an oxford, but oxfords are way easier to pull off.

If this is your first time purchasing bonobos you can get $25 off your purchase.

Mod note: referal links edited out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads