• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can someone explain what's going on here?

stubloom

Reaction score
Clearly, the jacket has shrunk. That's obvious. But that's not the issue.

The issue is why?

Based on the answers to the questions I asked, you indicated that you sweat profusely in the summer. So you probably have extensive perspiration stains in both underarms.

Perspiration is a water-based stain. Dry cleaning is a great emulsifier of oil-based stains but does practically nothing for water-based stains. Unless both the odor and the stains are removed by a technician prior to inserting it into the dry cleaning machine, either the stain, the odor or both will remain after dry cleaning.

One way a dry cleaner could deal with this issue is to (1) wet clean or soak the jacket first in a water-based solution, (2) hang dry it, (3) reshape it with steam, (3) hand iron it to intermediate quality standards, (5) dry clean it, and (6) hand iron it to final quality standards.

The ability to wet clean this jacket despite it's fabric composition (linen, wool, silk, cashmere blend) shouldn't be complicated for a skilled dry cleaner. For the ordinary dry cleaner, however, the likelihood that they'll screw it up is significant.

My assessment: The jacket was probably wet cleaned using excessive mechanical action (tumbling). In addition, the jacket might have been dried in a dryer. At that point the damage has been done (even though it might have been subsequently dry cleaned to restore some of the "hand" or texture).

You can read more here...

http://ravefabricare.com/why-dry-cleaned-garments-still-smell-perspiration-after-dry-cleaning/

Hope this helps explain what probably happened to your jacket.

Last edited:

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Clearly, the jacket has shrunk. That's obvious. But that's not the issue.

The issue is why?

Based on the answers to the questions I asked, you indicated that you sweat profusely in the summer. So you probably have extensive perspiration stains in both underarms.

Perspiration is a water-based stain. Dry cleaning is a great emulsifier of oil-based stains but does practically nothing for water-based stains. Unless both the odor and the stains are removed by a technician prior to inserting into the dry cleaning machine, either the stain, the odor or both will remain after dry cleaning.

One way a dry cleaner could deal with this issue is to wet clean or soak the jacket first in a water-based solution and then dry clean afterwards.

The ability to wet clean this jacket despite it's fabric composition (linen, wool, silk, cashmere blend) shouldn't be complicated for a skilled dry cleaner. For the ordinary dry cleaner, however, I'd suggest that it's Russian roulette.

My assessment: The jacket was probably wet cleaned using excessive mechanical action (tumbling). In addition, the jacket might have been dried in a dryer. At that point the damaged has been done, even though it might have been subsequently dry cleaned.

You can read more here...

http://ravefabricare.com/why-dry-cleaned-garments-still-smell-perspiration-after-dry-cleaning/

Hope this helps explain what probably happened to your jacket.
Thanks! So basically they didn't knew how to treat the fabric, right? I mean, it didn't smell a lot in order for them to wet clean it.

stubloom

Reaction score
I read this and think I will never get anything dry cleaned ever again.

If you have a problem with one particular dry cleaner, the right approach is not to give up on dry cleaning.

The right approach is to find a dry cleaner with the technical skills to address the problem(s) you might have. In much the same way that you don't give up on medicine because one doctor proved to be less skilled than others in the medical community.

zunker

Reaction score
If you have a problem with one particular dry cleaner, the right approach is not to give up on dry cleaning.

The right approach is to find a dry cleaner with the technical skills to address the problem(s) you might have. In much the same way that you don't give up on medicine because one doctor proved to be less skilled than others in the medical community.
I can survive without dry cleaning thanks.

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

How can I know they are technically good?

stubloom

Reaction score
Assessing technical skills is always difficult from a consumer's point of view.

Lets start with this broad statement: The overwhelming majority of the 26,000 (approx) cleaners in the USA are "bang and hang" cleaners.

Low prices (think $10 to $20 for a ladies or mans 2 pc suit) and fast turnaround (think 1,2 or 3 day turnaround) are two obvious signs that the cleaner is probably a bang and hang cleaner. Low prices and fast turnaround speaks volumes: despite their protestations to the contrary, the cleaner doesn't really care about true quality work. That's not the product they're selling. After all, why bother to employ (and pay) technically skilled craftspeople if the business model is low prices and fast turnaround. Dry cleaning/washing machine loaders and pressing machine operators are much cheaper!

So what can you, as a consumer of dry cleaning services do, to make a good assessment:

1. Level 1 assessment (quick)

Take a look at google and yelp reviews.

But take with a grain of salt. That's because many of the reviews address factors that are unrelated to the quality of the work -- speed, low prices, convenience, friendliness, etc. These reviews almost never address the quality of the "work." And there's reason for that: Aside from relying on the cleaner's slogan (such as "top quality at an affordable price"), the overwhelming majority of reviewers have no basis for judging the quality of the "work" being delivered.

2. Level 2 assessment (takes a few minutes)

Contact the manager of the most expensive department stores, boutiques, custom clothiers in your area. Ask the manager where the store sends their soiled/stained/unserviceable garments for cleaning so that those garments can be placed back on the racks for sale at full price.

3. Level 3 assessment (takes more time but results in a more educated consumer of garment care services)

Ask your cleaner for a copy of their written quality standards. If they don't have written quality standards that consumers can use to hold them accountable for the quality they say they deliver, the chances are strong they don't have any standards.

For example:

http://ravefabricare.com/about/detailed-quality-standards/

Use a more extensive checklist to grade your cleaner relative to the quality standards in place at a true quality cleaner.

For example:

http://ravefabricare.com/quick-links/grade-your-cleaner/

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

jaxenro

Reaction score
I would add get a beater jacket to take in to a new cleaners for the first time better they mess up a $5 goodwill than your favorite jacket. Find something hard to clean and spill some dinner on it. Nothing drastic just something you can check when you get it back

I did that with tailors until I found one I liked

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Assessing technical skills is always difficult from a consumer's point of view.

Lets start with this broad statement: The overwhelming majority of the 26,000 (approx) cleaners in the USA are "bang and hang" cleaners.

Low prices (think $10 to $20 for a ladies or mans 2 pc suit) and fast turnaround (think 1,2 or 3 day turnaround) are two obvious signs that the cleaner is probably a bang and hang cleaner. Low prices and fast turnaround speaks volumes: despite their protestations to the contrary, the cleaner doesn't really care about true quality work. That's not the product they're selling. After all, why bother to employ (and pay) technically skilled craftspeople if the business model is low prices and fast turnaround. Machine operators are much cheaper!

So what can you, as a consumer of dry cleaning services do, to make a good assessment:

1. Level 1 assessment (quick)

Take a look at google and yelp reviews. And take with a grain of salt. That's because many of the reviews address factors that are unrelated to the quality of the work -- speed, low prices, convenience, friendliness, etc

2. Level 2 assessment (takes a few minutes)

Contact the manager of the most expensive department stores, boutiques, custom clothiers in your area. Ask the manager where the store sends their soiled/stained/unserviceable garments for cleaning so that those garments can be placed back on the racks for sale at full price.

3. Level 3 assessment (takes more time but results in a more educated consumer of garment care services)

Ask your cleaner for a copy of their written quality standards. If they don't have written quality standards that consumers can use to hold them accountable for the quality they say they deliver, the chances are they don't have any standards.

For example:

http://ravefabricare.com/about/detailed-quality-standards/

Use a more extensive checklist to grade your cleaner relative to the quality standards in place at a true quality cleaner.

For example:

http://ravefabricare.com/quick-links/grade-your-cleaner/

Hope this helps.
Ah! Is good to know this. I will definitely check number two and number three. It’s worth the time. I don’t want any other garment ruined.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads