• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can anyone say anything good about TIP TOP TAILORS?

SuitMyself

Reaction score
Simple enough question. What are your answers?

Just curious.

SuitMyself

Reaction score
No comments thus far? Surely a lot of you (e.g. Canadians) have something to say, bad or good!

I'd like to know. I'm just curious.

sm332

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuitMyself
No comments thus far? Surely a lot of you (e.g. Canadians) have something to say, bad or good!

I'd like to know. I'm just curious.

None of their stuff is attractive in SF sense of the word. I also find them highly overpriced for what they offer. But then again .. that is a general prob with most Cdn retailers when we compare them to our US option.

SuitMyself

Reaction score
I remember, back in the late 80s and early to mid 90s, they had some pretty decent stuff. Well, at least they had more variety in their sports coats and suits offerings back in those days. They had patterned suits and sports coats with pizzazz that were still made in Canada. Nowadays, virtually all their suits are black (most are imported) and all their sports coats are either black or charcoal. Their ties, nowadays, leave everything--and more--to be desired.

I personally think the new owners, GFI Inc., messed up a great Canadian icon. TTT started off as a made-to-measure business in 1909 and ever since Dylex went bankrupt and TTT was purchased by GFI was when their clothing started going downhill. Their clothing buyers really have no fashion sense whatsoever, to say the least.

It's a great company, I think, but it's just the people behind the scenes (corporate brass and buyers) who are ******* it up.

So sad.

Reaction score
I remember, back in the late 80s and early to mid 90s, they had some pretty decent stuff. Well, at least they had more variety in their sports coats and suits offerings back in those days. They had patterned suits and sports coats with pizzazz that were still made in Canada.

My double-breasted, herringbone tweed overcoat by Wm. H. Leishman for Tip Top Tailors probably originates from this era. It was made in England and used fabric from "West of England". The quality is slightly better my Burberry topcoat, but not quite as nice as my Aquascutum.

The current selection of merchandise, however, is pretty sad.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Horrible. The shirts are crap, the retail staff is ignorant, and the promoted looks are unworthy.

SuitMyself

Reaction score
Originally Posted by intent
Horrible. The shirts are crap, the retail staff is ignorant, and the promoted looks are unworthy.

A lot of the customers that TTT caters to are pretty fashion ignorant/fashion illiterate, as well. Besides the businessmen and other professionals who buy suits there, the majority of the men who shop there only wear suits for weddings and funerals. Most of these guys just want an affordably-priced suit to last them for the rest of their lives and they have no sense of fashion and really don't care about fashion. I think a lot of the sales staff notice this and pretty well give up with these sorts of customers and just sell them what they're asking for and not bother to sell them something that's considered fashion.

What I'm saying is that these customers are there to buy clothes, not fashion. The businessmen and professionals are after something more fashion-savvy--well, fashion-savvy in the TTT sense, anyways.

The sad thing is that, over the years, in my opinion, TTT has been in the business of strictly selling clothing and not fashion.

THAT, in my opinion, is what must change if TTT is to survive the 21st century. They have to start selling FASHION, not just CLOTHING.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tip Top, Moore's & Internat'l Clothiers, etc, target the 'I need a suit less than 6 times a year' gents. They already have a good thing going.
Why would they need to change anything? They cater to the masses, being 98% of men.
They won't go after 'fashion' because they don't need to.
There is a much larger demand for conservative low end than conservative high end.

As for the Tip Top of long ago, they did have some good quality clothes back then.
I hated their shirts in the 1980's because they never ironed well but the jackets were satisfactory.
Today I have no idea what their QC is like.
Interestingly I think Moore's has sigifigantly upped their quality in the last 10 years.

R-H

Reaction score
THAT, in my opinion, is what must change if TTT is to survive the 21st century. They have to start selling FASHION, not just CLOTHING.

Like others have said in this thread, Tip Top doesn't offer anything of value. Every suit, literally, is black or near black. They don't stock any decent shirts either. All the shirts seem to be gaudy solids; no subtle stripes or even checks. No shoe selection.

I don't remember Tip Top ever offering a decent selection of goods. If they go out of business, it won't make a difference to the well dressed.

SuitMyself

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint

Tip Top, Moore's & Internat'l Clothiers, etc, target the 'I need a suit less than 6 times a year' gents. They already have a good thing going.
Why would they need to change anything? They cater to the masses, being 98% of men.
They won't go after 'fashion' because they don't need to.
There is a much larger demand for conservative low end
than conservative high end.

As for the Tip Top of long ago, they did have some good quality clothes back then.
I hated their shirts in the 1980's because they never ironed well but the jackets were satisfactory.
Today I have no idea what their QC is like.
Interestingly I think Moore's has sigifigantly upped their quality in the last 10 years.

That's a very interesting point.

Originally Posted by R-H

Every suit, literally, is black or near black.

I blame this on their "weddings and funerals only" customers.

Originally Posted by R-H
They don't stock any decent shirts either. All the shirts seem to be gaudy solids; no subtle stripes or even checks. No shoe selection.

Yeah, you're right. I hate their solids and it appears they restock those same gaudy solid colours year after year after year after year after year. Again, TTT sells clothing, not fashion, and I think they cater to the lowest common denominator (the "weddings and funerals only" customers).

Originally Posted by R-H

I don't remember Tip Top ever offering a decent selection of goods. If they go out of business, it won't make a difference to the well dressed.

As I've said, back in the late 80s and early to mid 90s, their suits and sports jackets selections were far better than what they are today. A lot of their suits and jackets, back then, featured the same colours and patterns I'd see at Harry Rosen and other high-end retailers. Unfortunately, I think those days are long gone.

UserNameToronto

Reaction score
Best thing about TTT is their old factory (now lofts) at Lakeshore:

tip-top-tailors-1.jpg

EZETHATSME

Reaction score

arirang

Reaction score
Tip Top is like Moore's - they cater to the lowest common denominator. They really aren't style oriented at all.

That said, if you look hard enough you can find a decent look at Tip Top, but there is no question that you could do better elsewhere. The Bay, for instance, sells at a similar price point, but with better quality and lower prices - The Bay's sale prices blow TTT out of the water.

Last suit I bought at Tip Top was when I was a student over five years ago. It served its purpose, but I haven't seriously considered anything from there ever since.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads