• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Business Casual Challenge

TroyMcClure

Reaction score
I'm probably overthinking this, but I struggle with business casual in the world I work in and could use some thoughts.

On an average day, I work in a pretty traditional environment. Men are usually in suits, some may lose the tie on Friday and wear a sport jacket. I wear a suit everyday because that is comfortable for me.

If we head to the "field", we're usually in a more casual environment, sometimes downright "industrial". We are the HQ people showing up, and it is a fairly big deal to those in the field. When the field folks come see us, they usually have to dust off their suit and tie for the occasion.

I am not an executive, but I am often with an executive level person and or am representing one, and I'm often meeting with the local executive or person in charge.

I have a trip coming up this week where I'll be with meeting with an executive and some other third-party folks in a position of authority, representing executives back at HQ. One of the other aspects is that I'll likely be representing a position that will be the unpopular one, but the one that rules the day.....because we're headquarters.

We'll likely heading out on a site visit, and doing it in 80 degree weather. Normally I'd default to a navy sport coat, blue or tan chinos, a standard button down collar oxford, and brown AE Kenilworths. But I really don't think leather sole shoes are a good choice for this on the performance front.

I'm also usually the youngest person at the table, so I tend to rely on appearance to help overcome any "stigma" related to that. On a normal day, I do that with a nice suit. In the field, I am out of that element.

So any thoughts on an outfit that will still look "authoritative" and neat for what may be a spirited debate on policy, but have some utility to head out of the office in warm weather? Appreciate it.

Last edited:

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
March warm weather in approximately where? Geography matters re what might look acceptable. The blue chinos probably should be part of the outfit, in any case.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you been to this "site" before? Showing up for a lengthy field visit at a construction site in leather shoes is different than being there for 1/2 hour. If the day is in the field you need to dress appropriately for the field. You are young - nothing says inexperienced like not dressing appropriately for field conditions. I suggest more casual shoes appropriate for the field - you can bring the blazer but you will likely leave it in the car.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are OSHA footwear requirements for some sites, albeit probably rarely for visitors. At the very least, the footwear should be rigid and thick-soled and have some grip.

thesilentist

Reaction score
Are you allowed to bring a change of shoes? Can you stuff a pair of dress loafers in your bag/briefcase to change into when you goto an office on this trip? Because I'd definitely would wear workbooks on a job site. Frankly, it's a matter of safety.

Just pull a Donald Rumsfeld:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads