• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

briefcase recommendations for broke student

WetbehindEars

Reaction score
Alright, I posted this in the man bag thread but I figure it'll get more attention if I started a new thread.

I'm a poor young college student that has only recently become interested in looking presentable (thanks in no small part to lurking around style forum). I'm currently looking for a new - less dorky - way of carrying around my laptop. I have a nylon laptop case that looks pretty bad, I'm interested in upgrading to something more stylish.
I've been searching and searching and searching some more for something that I like and that I can afford, my price range ends around 200-250.
So far I've only found one bag that I really like and (of course, my luck) it's been discontinued for a long time and I can't find it on eBay or anywhere else on the internet. The bag is the Tokyo brief by Knomo in gray. I really like the modern styling, the casual waxed canvas (leather is usually more formal that I need), the fact that it doesn't have a flap covering (I can't stand flaps, they get in the way), and also I like the color; it's not a muted black or brown, but it's also not crazy loud. It also has enough room for a power brick and a couple notebooks.
If anybody has any ideas for similar bags, I'd be eternally grateful; I've searched around sf for a while and haven't found anything that catches my eye, I like a couple of tumi bags but they're way over my price range. Most of the other canvas bags I've found have a really "new England" (thing ll bean tote) style, I like that look but it's just not for me.
Any recommendations would be appreciated, also if you have any ideas of how I could find that knomo bag, that would be fantastic as well.
Thanks in advance, gents!

NickFR

Reaction score
I'm in the same predicament- although being a graduate student,
I'm even more poor! lol.
I looked up the Tokyo brief by Knomo in gray and my god
its gorgeous!!

WetbehindEars

Reaction score
Nick: yeah, the grad students I know make me look rich :) what's your field of study?
If you're looking for a good case, what style are you looking for? There are several good briefcase threads around that have some good ideas depending on what you're looking for... also if you like the look of the knomo, I found a seller who is selling the brown version of the bag for $100... it's not as nice as the gray but it's still pretty awesome. If you like the look I'll give you his contact info.

Ken: I really like the bag, not really what I was looking for but I do like it quite a bit. I have a couple questions; is there any room for a charger brick? It doesn't seem to have any pockets and I'd like to be able to bring my charger with me. And also, is it wide enough to carry a laptop that's wider than the macbook? I ask because my computer is much thicker (1.25 inches I think) so it might not fit. Still, it's a beautiful bag, stylishly simple. Thanks for the recommendation!

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
have you given Filson 256 or 257 a look, although you mentioned that canvass is not for you. just a thought. I bought my high school age son the 257 and he likes it so far and should take it with him all the way to college. That's what I'm hoping... :) Good Luck

Last edited:

WetbehindEars

Reaction score
Hmm, I've heard quite a bit about filson but never looked into their briefcases, both that you mentioned are actually quite good looking - they do have a bit of a flap but it's not very large, quite classy actually. They aren't too expensive, either, thanks for the recommendation! I'll now obsess over the purchase for a few days trying to figure out which bag I want the most. Thanks again for the idea, I'll look into it :)
If anybody else has ideas, feel free to share - options are always a good thing.

Last edited:

Artem

Reaction score
Don't be that guy who brings a briefcase to class when that's the only place you're going that day. When you dress more formally, do it well. But know when to rock a hoodie...

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Don't be that guy who brings a briefcase to class when that's the only place you're going that day. When you dress more formally, do it well. But know when to rock a hoodie...

I'd agree if we were talking about a formal attache case here (well, minus the hoodie part...), but don't see anything wrong with wanting something a little nicer than a nylon laptop case to carry a computer around in.

WetbehindEars

Reaction score
Kcox: Thanks for the recommendation, that's a really nice bag, especially for that price. How's the quality? It's definitely a bit more grown-up than I'm thinking, but I'll keep it in mind when I need something a bit more serious. Thanks again for chipping in, it's much appreciated.

Artem: I completely agree, I don't want to walk around with a structured leather briefcase while wearing sneakers and a tshirt... I just want something that looks a bit better than my current bag (it's not super ugly, it's just gray and bland).

Leach: this :)

I think I'll probably go with either the filson 256 or the brown knomo... Thanks for everybody's suggestions, this was very helpful.

of course, if there are any other ideas, I'm still open... probably won't buy for another month or so.

Thanks again!

kcox68

Reaction score
Kcox: Thanks for the recommendation, that's a really nice bag, especially for that price. How's the quality? It's definitely a bit more grown-up than I'm thinking, but I'll keep it in mind when I need something a bit more serious. Thanks again for chipping in, it's much appreciated.

Artem: I completely agree, I don't want to walk around with a structured leather briefcase while wearing sneakers and a tshirt... I just want something that looks a bit better than my current bag (it's not super ugly, it's just gray and bland).

Leach: this :)

I think I'll probably go with either the filson 256 or the brown knomo... Thanks for everybody's suggestions, this was very helpful.

of course, if there are any other ideas, I'm still open... probably won't buy for another month or so.

Thanks again!
The quality is excellent for the price, with the only caveat being the zippers are nylon instead of metal but I suppose it helps with weight. I was surprised by the quality of everything else - full grain leather, great stitching, lined, etc... I also have no problems using it with jeans and a t-shirt because it's not as structured as many others are. It's sort of a combination of an old-school bookbag and a brief that seems to fit in with anything from sneakers to my best suit (buying the chocolate brown helps with that).

Good luck with your search and make sure to show us what you end up buying.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads