• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black Wool Dress Pants

Markboots

Reaction score
Hi,

For the record I do not own a pair of black dress pants, not even a black suit. Part out of humor and part to ask the question what are people opinions of black dress pants? I saw a pair of black dress pants online from a brand I like in Super 120s at a good price and was thinking about taking the plunge.

I would not pair it with blue pants or sport coat but I have various jackets (cream, light gray and a greenish black) that I think I could pair nicely with the black pants. I could also make it interesting with a deep yellow shirts or other various colors.

I was in the local McDonald today picking up my parents (who love the McDonald's breakfast) and noticed a gentlemen in the bathroom putting on a tie with his white shirt and black pants. I assumed he was getting ready to go to work for McDonald and thought maybe someone upstairs was trying to tell me something fashionably because of the timing. : )

Opinions please......

Regards,
Mark

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hi,

For the record I do not own a pair of black dress pants, not even a black suit. Part out of humor and part to ask the question what are people opinions of black dress pants? I saw a pair of black dress pants online from a brand I like in Super 120s at a good price and was thinking about taking the plunge.

I would not pair it with blue pants or sport coat but I have various jackets (cream, light gray and a greenish black) that I think I could pair nicely with the black pants. I could also make it interesting with a deep yellow shirts or other various colors.

I was in the local McDonald today picking up my parents (who love the McDonald's breakfast) and noticed a gentlemen in the bathroom putting on a tie with his white shirt and black pants. I assumed he was getting ready to go to work for McDonald and thought maybe someone upstairs was trying to tell me something fashionably because of the timing. : )

Opinions please......

Regards,
Mark

Don't do it, @Markboots . There is always a better option. You will look like a Ford or Verizon salesman. Get a pair of charcoal!

Last edited:

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Mid gray over charcoal for pants. And a charcoal or dark gray suits can substitute for a black suit at a funeral.

Do no need for either black trousers or a black suit.

Markboots

Reaction score
Don't do it, @Markboots . There is always a better option. You will look like a Ford or Verizon salesman. Get a pair of charcoal!

Thanks Murlsquirl and Claghorn, sometimes a good deal clogs my common sense : ).

Sorry for posting this on the wrong forum as well, appreciate it being moved over to the Menswear Advice forum.

Regards,
Mark

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks Murlsquirl and Claghorn, sometimes a good deal clogs my common sense : ).

Sorry for posting this on the wrong forum as well, appreciate it being moved over to the Menswear Advice forum.

Regards,
Mark

No need to apologize. Like Clags said, mid grey over charcoal. You don't really need charcoal trousers either...I was only suggesting them as an acceptable alternative to black. You'll find (or already have) that most things you buy just because they are a good deal end up as closet ornaments.

Markboots

Reaction score
No need to apologize. Like Clags said, mid grey over charcoal. You don't really need charcoal trousers either...I was only suggesting them as an acceptable alternative to black. You'll find (or already have) that most things you buy just because they are a good deal end up as closet ornaments.

My father has been very happy with all my mis purchases that have found their way into his closet. His fit and style are "flexible". My new Panta pants that I will be wearing on Tuesday are Medium Grey Flannel (one on Ed's current classified). I should just leave my pants buying to the expertise of Ed until I have hit my desired number of wool pants (whatever that is.....). That way I can just sit back and benefit from his good taste in fabric color, style and quality.

Can't go wrong with that strategy.
Regards,
Mark

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My father has been very happy with all my mis purchases that have found their way into his closet. His fit and style are "flexible". My new Panta pants that I will be wearing on Tuesday are Medium Grey Flannel (one on Ed's current classified). I should just leave my pants buying to the expertise of Ed until I have hit my desired number of wool pants (whatever that is.....). That way I can just sit back and benefit from his good taste in fabric color, style and quality.

Can't go wrong with that strategy.
Regards,
Mark

Lucky dad. I have a pair in that fabric too....they are awesome.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads