• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Birdwatching.

Reaction score
Just started getting into bird watching. I have a couple field guides to North American Birds, cheap binoculars, a utility vest, hiking boots, an upland field jacket, a moleskine, a fountain pen, a flask, etc. I am going on a bird watching tour this month to get my feet wet. Any bird watchers here? Tips? Admonitions? Recommendations for decent binoculars? Anecdotes? Tall tales? Relevant schema? Favorite birds?

So far I have identified a tufted titmouse using the field guide and binoculars. Turdus migratorius I can readily identify.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No real birdwatching, except for watching all the hummingbirds, sparrows, pigeons, woodpeckers, goldfinches, housefinches, verdins, cactus wrens et.c. that frequent our yard (and the majority of them have acquired a liking for the sugarwater my wife puts out for the hummingbirds).

P.s. hummingbirds are seriously bad tempered little bastards.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
P.p.s. I am sure there is some in-joke I am missing here but hell, I don't care :-D

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think it's boring. I enjoyed chasing down macaws in the rainforest, but only because they were so hard to get close to for good pictures. Plus, macaws are just cool birds. In general, birds don't do much for me. Really, it was trekking around in the rainforest that I liked more than anything else. It can be fun to photograph them though.

Anyway, my advice is screw the binoculars and get an slr and a good lens.

mr.loverman

Reaction score
i took a birdwatching class a few months ago. get some sick binoculars(if you've got the cash). you can also learn birdsongs because many birds are much easier identified by song than by sight and many birds will stay out of sight. do research to find a bunch of good nature trails in your area. find out about local migrations. maybe check out the local audobon society. the cool thing about birding is that it adds a whole new dimension to being in the outdoors. you never know what you will see. there are also many urban species if you are stuck in a city.

http://www.audubon.org/

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr.loverman
i took a birdwatching class a few months ago. get some sick binoculars(if you've got the cash). you can also learn birdsongs because many birds are much easier identified by song than by sight and many birds will stay out of sight. do research to find a bunch of good nature trails in your area. find out about local migrations. maybe check out the local audobon society. the cool thing about birding is that it adds a whole new dimension to being in the outdoors. you never know what you will see. there are also many urban species if you are stuck in a city.

http://www.audubon.org/

if guns were allows in the city, i'd be shooting pigeons all day.

Reaction score
mr loverman: you are right about that. birdwatching has made me interact with my environment much more while on the familiar trails that i've hiked in my area. previously, i'd hike with the idea of getting somewhere. birdwatching has made me stop and look around. i love birdsongs. i'd like to pick some up on vinyl. i already have wolf-songs (narrated by robert redford) and whalesongs on records. i'd get an SLR but i like hiking without much baggage. i want a pair of binoculars that i could pocket easily.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads