• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Way to Wax a cotton Jacket

danger

Reaction score
I'd like to make a nice cotton jacket I have more water resistant. I'm not going deep sea diving here, i Just want to be able to stand in moderate rain for a few minutes without getting soaked.

I did some searching and found that there is spray on waterproofing, I think REI has this, and there's also old fashioned methods where you buy paraffin and you iron it in.

I'm highly tempted to just get the spray on stuff, but just wanted to ask if anyone knows if there's an advantage to ironing wax in by hand or some other method.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good luck. I tried turning a Carhartt 131 into a Filson by trying to wax it. 6 cans of wax later it wasn't done and it looked like dung.

If you want waxed then just buy something that's already finished this way.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Search.

danger

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crane's
Good luck. I tried turning a Carhartt 131 into a Filson by trying to wax it. 6 cans of wax later it wasn't done and it looked like dung.

If you want waxed then just buy something that's already finished this way.

Interesting.. I woulda thought the old fashioned way woulda worked well
eh.gif

I did some googling outside this forum and found this, i think it answers my question and it looks like Nikwax is the way to go:
http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/a...p?t-64427.html

The spray works decently apparently(thought it smells apparently) but for real results you're supposed to do the whole nikwax shebang.

I'll probably just go with the spray and see how it works.

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Filson has a 'care' section on their website about their waxed jackets, (surprised Crane's didn't know about that..ahem...). It takes a lot of wax...several cans. Heheh... From Filson: "Do I need to re-wax my Oil Finish Tin Cloth garment right away? You shouldn't need to re-wax your Oil Finish Tin Cloth garment right away. It is ready to wear. However, over time, and with regular use, the Oil Finish water repellency may weaken, especially in areas of high wear or repeated flexing (such as the knees of a pant, or the elbows or cuffs on a jacket). One can of our Style 1-A Original Oil Finish Wax is enough to touch up isolated areas of high wear or flexing, but re-waxing an entire garment usually requires several cans of wax. See Style 1 and 1-A for detailed instructions."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads