• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best men's fashion magazine in the world???

Fantastic Mr Foxx

Reaction score
I think English men's fashion magazines- mostly from the US- have lost their value and the distinguish status they once had. These days they just slap any picture of a celebrity on the cover, dressed up in one of the trendiest clothes designed by some **** designer who think his clothes is art, and then tell you to go buy the clothes he has on because this is what you must wear 'this season'. And it is the same old thing every season. They do not offer any new informative insights or education as to how the clothes are made, how to care for them and so on. Above all, 60% of the pages are filled with ads about cell phones, vodka, and some ****** articles that are totally fashion or style unrelated.

Fantastic Mr Foxx

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gazman70k
And just to prove my point further about the Japanese, check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/v/Io2KFwZ5B8w..._embedded&fs=1

fistbump.gif

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Upnorth, name me one English language men's fashion magazine that does all of these and I'll send you my extra copy of the Men's Ex High-End Men's Suit Style Book inclusive of shipping.

Offer appreciated, but it goes back to my argument that there is no best men's fashion magazine.

I speak of the relative decline within the own japanese genre over the years. Not a jab at anyone nor should anyone take offence. LAST has stopped publication. The Suit Catalog no longer publishes with regularity. Some of the more recent issues of Men's Ex are not up to where it was in the past. Just saying.

If you are unhappy with my opinions, then simply continue to post more pictures.
devil.gif

gazman70k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by upnorth
Offer appreciated, but it goes back to my argument that there is no best men's fashion magazine.

I speak of the relative decline within the own japanese genre over the years. Not a jab at anyone nor should anyone take offence. LAST has stopped publication. The Suit Catalog no longer publishes with regularity. Some of the more recent issues of Men's Ex are not up to where it was in the past. Just saying.

If you are unhappy with my opinions, then simply continue to post more pictures.
devil.gif

Your opinion didn't make sense given the relative comparison of *** mags versus the rest. Regardless of their apparent decline, they are still heads and shoulders above the rest and hence the best of what is available.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Amusingly enough Japanese magazines are the slaves of larger groups and much less independent than western ones, if such a thing is possible. They also tend to be of the "style bible" variety, showcasing how-to pair ensembles as many brands as possible. Something more trendy like men's non-no is probably more guilty of that than Leon but I see no indication of an essential structural difference in the distribution of power those two magazines have to deal with.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Amusingly enough Japanese magazines are the slaves of larger groups and much less independent than western ones, if such a thing is possible. They also tend to be of the "style bible" variety, showcasing how-to pair ensembles as many brands as possible. Something more trendy like men's non-no is probably more guilty of that than Leon but I see no indication of an essential structural difference in the distribution of power those two magazines have to deal with.

+1

How can you put out a good magazine when everyone pays for their inclusion? Sounds stupid actually.

Truth is, as we pointed out above, there is no really great mens style mag. Flash has replaced content, clever quips have replaced thought. Star on the cover, photos where they are in awkward poses and you cant see ****.

For me, again, Esquire is the best of a bad breed.

Francisco

Reaction score
Originally Posted by idfnl
+1

How can you put out a good magazine when everyone pays for their inclusion? Sounds stupid actually.

Truth is, as we pointed out above, there is no really great mens style mag. Flash has replaced content, clever quips have replaced thought. Star on the cover, photos where they are in awkward poses and you cant see ****.

For me, again, Esquire is the best of a bad breed.

Your opinion didn't make sense given the relative comparison of *** mags versus the rest. Regardless of their apparent decline, they are still heads and shoulders above the rest and hence the best of what is available.

I guess everyone has their perference and decide their best, i think if Men Ex or Lenon have an English version then it is only a fight between them..

Hope the Rake editor or this Wei kok is reading...
smile.gif

maomao1980

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
While the Japanese menswear magazines contain significant discussions on technical aspect of clothing, it is only done so to cater to a readership that demands technical information. The whole of magazines such as Men's EX or LEON (and almost all Japanese hobby magazines) are basically one big advertorial for various brands and local stores. There isn't a single item printed on these magazines where the information pertaining to the brand and shop where its sold are not listed. They are basically glorified catalogs and the only reason we find them fascinating on these forums is because they happen to cater to our taste.

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Esquire has good tips for most of the 50s and 60s...and I'd go so far as the early 70s. Same with Ebony for this period. Both take a hands on approach to showcase classic men's wear although Ebony is usually more tolerant of alternative/popular styles at the time. If you're a WASP snob, the early 60s issues from Esquire will surely entertain with the classic rhetorical contrast between trad wear and alternative men fashion: take this young man in traditional blue blazer (pictured with some busty college age blonde) and this young man in motorcycle jacket (some lonely dude with disheveled hair) can you tell us why women prefer the young man in blue blazer?
bigstar[1].gif

I'd love to learn Japanese and see what the rave is all about concerning Men's EX.

Bellison

Reaction score
No, it's more like 780 yen per issue or 8 bucks.

I tried getting a subscription from Kinokuniya bookstore in New York, but it's $130 for a year/12 issues. That price seems kinda pricey compared to what you'd pay in Japan of roughly $100/year.

+1

I'd rather READ Esquire

And that magazine probably costs 453234234.54 yen per issue

Bellison

Reaction score
It is undeniable that the style and sophistication of the Japanese consumer is unsurpassed by anyone. This stems from an obsessive compulsive nature that is very much a part of Japanese culture. The Japanese's strict attention to detail is unmatched anywhere else I'd say.

I remember when Brooks Brothers opened their first store in Tokyo, they had to make just everything more luxurious to suit the demanding Japanese market, everything from the packaging of products such as shopping bags, and boxes to more detailed workmanship in the products. This is true for just about all American retailers that enter the Japanese market--they make everything luxurious and is another reason why things in Japan are simply more expensive.

Originally Posted by maomao1980
While the Japanese menswear magazines contain significant discussions on technical aspect of clothing, it is only done so to cater to a readership that demands technical information. The whole of magazines such as Men's EX or LEON (and almost all Japanese hobby magazines) are basically one big advertorial for various brands and local stores. There isn't a single item printed on these magazines where the information pertaining to the brand and shop where its sold are not listed. They are basically glorified catalogs and the only reason we find them fascinating on these forums is because they happen to cater to our taste.

Kei-bon

Reaction score
+1

American mags may be (just a bit) less overt about it, but i can't believe there remains much of a "wall" between advertising sales and editorial. Just look at the labels they regularly feature in photo spreads (and those they don't).

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GrimFandango