• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Berlusconi switches from Caraceni (bespoke) to Kiton (MTM?)

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The interesting bit of news is really that this is (online) front page news in Italy's biggest traditional daily, Corriere della Sera (though the piece appears to be officially part of the paper's regional edition for the South): http://corrieredelmezzogiorno.corrie...79884806.shtml

I wonder whether Paone at Kiton will do proper bespoke for Berlusconi. Apparently they already had a fitting in one of his villas. Anyway, apparently Mr B. wants to look more 'solar' and optimistic (in view of the forthcoming regional elections) and that's why he is switching to a Neapolitan silhouette and lighter colours.

max b

Reaction score
we all need to be optimistic.
Caraceni is still a brand owned by Gianni Campagna ?

OxxfordSJLINY

Reaction score
Originally Posted by radicaldog
The interesting bit of news is really that this is (online) front page news in Italy's biggest traditional daily, Corriere della Sera (though the piece appears to be officially part of the paper's regional edition for the South): http://corrieredelmezzogiorno.corrie...79884806.shtml

I wonder whether Paone at Kiton will do proper bespoke for Berlusconi. Apparently they already had a fitting in one of his villas. Anyway, apparently Mr B. wants to look more 'solar' and optimistic (in view of the forthcoming regional elections) and that's why he is switching to a Neapolitan silhouette and lighter colours.

This Berlusconi guy must be a colossal lunatic to switch from Caraceni (bespoke, which is high end full bespoke) to Kiton (made to measure or bespoke-Kiton’s bespoke is actually high end and immorally overpriced semi bespoke).
lol8[1].gif

If this guy wants a "Neapolitan silhouette and lighter colors" to look more "solar and optimistic", Rubinacci Napoli (there is also a Milano branch), Panico Napoli (there is also a Roma branch), Pirozzi (which is Napoli only) and too many other Neapolitan tailors to mention (all of whom are also high end full bespoke) are far better in every conceivable objective way (particularly material quality, quality and quantity of handwork and overall construction quality) for prices that are in the same ballpark as Kiton's prices.

In fact, in every conceivable objective way (again, particularly material quality, quality and quantity of handwork and overall construction quality), Kiton is so inferior to Caraceni, Panico, Pirozzi, Rubinacci and all other Italian custom manufacturers that it is hard to describe.
frown.gif

To top it all off, Kiton's prices are in the same ballpark as the prices for Caraceni and all other Italian custom manufacturers (Ciro Paone should be mortified for doing such a thing).
crazy.gif

Ciro Paone is super egotistic to be charging the prices that he chooses to charge for his not all that great (but not even remotely poor, overall) products.
mad.gif

EasyGoing

Reaction score
Originally Posted by OxxfordSJLINY
This Berlusconi guy must be a colossal lunatic to switch from Caraceni (bespoke, which is high end full bespoke) to Kiton (made to measure or bespoke-Kiton's bespoke is actually high end and immorally overpriced semi bespoke).
lol8[1].gif

If this guy wants a "Neapolitan silhouette and lighter colors" to look more "solar and optimistic", Rubinacci Napoli (there is also a Milano branch), Panico Napoli (there is also a Roma branch), Pirozzi (which is Napoli only) and too many other Neapolitan tailors to mention (all of whom are also high end full bespoke) are far better in every conceivable objective way (particularly material quality, quality and quantity of handwork and overall construction quality) for prices that are in the same ballpark as Kiton's prices.

In fact, in every conceivable objective way (again, particularly material quality, quality and quantity of handwork and overall construction quality), Kiton is so inferior to Caraceni, Panico, Pirozzi, Rubinacci and all other Italian custom manufacturers that it is hard to describe.
frown.gif

To top it all off, Kiton's prices are in the same ballpark as the prices for Caraceni and all other Italian custom manufacturers (Ciro Paone should be mortified for doing such a thing).
crazy.gif

Ciro Paone is super egotistic to be charging the prices that he chooses to charge for his not all that great (but not even remotely poor, overall) products.
mad.gif

I'm sure Berlusconi is super concerned about what he pays for things.

mmkn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, maybe Iammatt will feel better about this.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by max b

No, or not entirely. There is still an independent tailor shop in Rome.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by max b

There are various Caracenis. Campagna owns one, which is basically a high-end MTM operation. Then there are the two proper bespoke Caracenis (separate businesses, but they are relatives), Milan and Rome.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by OxxfordSJLINY
This Berlusconi guy must be a colossal lunatic to switch from Caraceni (bespoke, which is high end full bespoke) to Kiton (made to measure or bespoke-Kiton’s bespoke is actually high end and immorally overpriced semi bespoke).
lol8[1].gif
If this guy wants a "Neapolitan silhouette and lighter colors" to look more "solar and optimistic", Rubinacci Napoli (there is also a Milano branch), Panico Napoli (there is also a Roma branch), Pirozzi (which is Napoli only) and too many other Neapolitan tailors to mention (all of whom are also high end full bespoke) are far better in every conceivable objective way (particularly material quality, quality and quantity of handwork and overall construction quality) for prices that are in the same ballpark as Kiton's prices. In fact, in every conceivable objective way (again, particularly material quality, quality and quantity of handwork and overall construction quality), Kiton is so inferior to Caraceni, Panico, Pirozzi, Rubinacci and all other Italian custom manufacturers that it is hard to describe.
frown.gif
crazy.gif
mad.gif

Berlusconi's fortune is estimated at about 11 billion USD so I doubt that he cares about the price of his suits. Kiton (unlike Caraceni or Rubinacci bespoke tailors) is a fairly well-known brand in Italy, so this may just be a populist move: "I own what you aspire to -- vote for me and we'll have something in common, so you'll get there too". It's amazing how many votes you can get out of this sort of subconscious non sequitur -- I'm sure Manton could bring his professional experise to the table to illuminate this issue.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Considering how bad he looks most of the time are we sure it was his choice to switch?

kaiserkarl

Reaction score
he reminds me of this italian guy we had over for dinner for a business meeting. he wore a suit that night and i thought to myself ugh the 80's are back. he had huge sqaurish shoulders and almost no neck, was small, and fat. the next week we were on his yacht and i realized he was probably actually wearing a lightly padded suit because he still had that 80's silhouette when wearing a t shirt. dude also got orangutanish long arms. even caraceni couldn't do wonders for him.

i like silvio's tatse in gov't appointees though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads