• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone use a heart rate monitor?

stewartu

Reaction score
I am considering buying a heart rate monitor. From what I've read, I want one that comes with the chest monitor and software to be able to do some fitness tracking. The gym I use has LifeFitness equipment so ideally it will interface to that equipment without hassle.

Do any of you guys use a monitor? Any recommendations? I would like to stick as close to $100 as possible.

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
Sure, go ahead if you really need to measure everything.

One of my spin class instructors wears one and insists she burns 2000 calories in a hour spin class based on her heart rate monitor. Seems inflated to me.

If anything it'll probably give you false level of confidence and make you eat more.

konadog

Reaction score
i use the garmin fr60 heart rate monitor. i like it and it can download wirelessly to your computer on Garmin Connect. i've also read great reviews on the Polar HRMs at the same price point.

only reason i chose Garmin over Polar is because i also have a Garmin gps-based bicycle computer, so i download all of my workouts to Garmin Connect.

TylerDurden

Reaction score
Well I've got the best heart rate monitor you can buy:

Take your finger and follow your thumb down an inch from the wrist. There will be a grove in the bone, press the pad of your finger in that, you should feel a pulse.

Look at your watch or a clock on the wall. Count each beat for 15 seconds. Times that by 4.

Beats x 4 for 15 seconds = your BPM

It's free and accurate. Now you can spend that $100 on a pair of good running shoes.

Your welcome.

Francis91

Reaction score
I use one. I have the Polar FT80 which is out of your price range, but I'm sure they have a more affordable model.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TylerDurden

Take your finger and follow your thumb down an inch from the wrist. There will be a grove in the bone, press the pad of your finger in that, you should feel a pulse.

Look at your watch or a clock on the wall. Count each beat for 15 seconds. Times that by 4.

Beats x 4 for 15 seconds = your BPM

It's free and accurate. Now you can spend that $100 on a pair of good running shoes.

Your welcome.

facepalm.gif

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a Suunto T3c, which I haven't used in a while. I don't bother downloading anything into a computer, since the watch stores enough workouts to watch trends. Suunto does make a sensor belt that can simultaneously communicate with both the watch and cardio machines.

I don't think an HRM gives you overconfidence. If anything, seeing how few calories mine says I am burning is a motivator. Going full out on a heavy bag using the Bas Rutten workouts, I burn between 200 and 300 calories in half an hour. It's difficult for me to imagine an activity that burns calories at 4 to 5 times that rate that can be sustained for double the time, so I don't see how you'd get to 2000 burned in an hour without serious inflation in your measuring device.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Francis91
LOL seriously. Buying one is just a more efficient way to keep track.

Try getting that kind of measurement running at full sprint or or while biking. There is a big difference between taking a single measurement and tracking it accurately during exercise.

I've used the polar monitors and they work fine.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to have a Suunto T4c but the belt fell apart in about 6 months. Other than the belt though, I had no complaints. The place I bought it from accepted the return without question and I replaced it with a Garmin FR60. I picked the Garmin because it was slightly less expensive and I was afraid of getting burned by the cheap belt on the Suunto a second time.

The Garmin does its job just fine but doesn't have anywhere near the number of functions as the Suunto had. That, coupled with the fact the Suunto has apparently redesigned the belts since I had mine has me looking for a good deal on another Suunto again.

Oh, and I think the watch actually looked a lot nicer on the Suunto than the Garmin (or most of the Polars I've seen)... this is Style Forum, right?

yayorc

Reaction score
I use a heart rate monitor to keep my heart rate at around 60% of max, which is supposedly, and has been, more effective for burning fat. Its great for long slow climbs on the stairmaster.

PoloPlayr

Reaction score
I've got a Polar watch and must say that the best thing is using it to keep track of calories burnt.

Seeing how I hate running outdoors I do most of my running on a treadmill and the heartbeat monitor on that thing mirror my Polar more or less perfectly, so no real need...

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yayorc
I use a heart rate monitor to keep my heart rate at around 60% of max, which is supposedly, and has been, more effective for burning fat. Its great for long slow climbs on the stairmaster.
Along the same line, I like to use one for long slow climbs on the mountain.
Originally Posted by PoloPlayr
I've got a Polar watch and must say that the best thing is using it to keep track of calories burnt. Seeing how I hate running outdoors I do most of my running on a treadmill and the heartbeat monitor on that thing mirror my Polar more or less perfectly, so no real need...
It's annoying having to hold the sensor on the treadmill though, can't swing your arms naturally. By the way, I use an old Polar monitor, very basic.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads