• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any One for a Scotch?

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The philosophy behind this distillery kinda gives me the ick, and I know the Special Release Diageo stuff is not well loved, certainly compared to the stuff of years past (if only I wasn’t in 8th grade during their heyday!), and understandably so…but this is really nice. Nose is gorgeous.
F1AE78DF-84BB-4FE0-82A7-54ABAB9F5543.jpeg

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, it’s new, which is fine, but it’s built somewhat as a Jack of all trades, master of none, which is also fine…but the idea that they can twist a knob (I’m obviously oversimplifying…I’m sure) and crank out a few hundred thousand liters approximating Lagavulin one week, and do the same for Oban the next, just feels a bit discomforting to me.

Not that they’d ever do away with the old school distilleries (one assumes), but the paranoid amongst us might see it as a slippery slope.

Either way, I’d certainly be curious to see/try more offerings if they come out with them.

This is overpriced, but really enjoyable.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Following my Port and American single malt thing comes this from Cedar Ridge. I remember having a really nice single malt aged in cherrywood like 14 years ago and then I didn't see much from them in terms of single malt. Got word of this and its good.

Nose - first wiff I got some cherry notes and strawberry. Odd. Then brown sugar.. a lot. Vanilla. It seems to be missing the port note, or probably just getting a lot of the Ruby Port.

Palette - Again, a little cherry, port, brown sugar, vanilla, almost cream soda like. Then the full tannin and flavor of port finished whisky. Excellent!
IMG_9046.jpeg

sftiger

Reaction score
I would buy any of the big 3 on Islay over this in the 50-65 range all day.
Never tried HP but I have negative associations with it since I see it almost exclusively in Duty Free shops in airports, making me think it's overpriced. Although admittedly this is probably a dumb reason not to like something, especially something I haven't tried.

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never tried HP but I have negative associations with it since I see it almost exclusively in Duty Free shops in airports, making me think it's overpriced. Although admittedly this is probably a dumb reason not to like something, especially something I haven't tried.
For me it just not that interesting. If I go for peat there are better. Imo there are other highland scotch that are more interesting for what they do best.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think he's part of a flash mob thief crew, but they wear suits and only steal good scotch...
If only I still had the speed of my HS days. Currently I'd probably pull a hammy in the first 20m of my getaway :rotflmao:
Love the 18!

But if you want power, try the cask strength - probably about half this price.

Was gonna make a similar remark but didn't want to do anything that might disrupt his ridiculous heater
It's like when a pitcher has a no-no going thru 6, just stay away....
Agreed re: CS. I love it. Obviously a different beast entirely. I think I may prefer it, which is not a knock on 18. Just different juice altogether...certainly prefer the price of the CS. 18 is probably about $30 too high for me at the typical retail I see.
I think HP is worth a try. Maybe at a bar or something to avoid sinking the whole cost on a bottle. I do enjoy HP, but it's also not going to be a top choice for me consistently. The standard 12 is really good, and for the most part well priced ($50ish) from all I've seen

KarlHungus

Reaction score
For me it just not that interesting. If I go for peat there are better. Imo there are other highland scotch that are more interesting for what they do best.
This is actually what I like about HP - marries a more classic scotch profile with a subtle layer of peat and Sherry cask. Really shines for me at a slightly higher proof than the standard 43%.
Btw HP is located in the Orkney Islands so not a highland scotch despite the name. :teach:

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohneAllene