• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice needed - mid-level navy suit

Geoff Gander

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've put it off long enough, but it's finally time to start looking for another suit to round out my wardrobe - specifically, a navy one. I currently have three suits:

- 4-button mid-grey
- dark grey 3-piece pinstripe
- 3-button black suit

I bought all of these about ten years ago when I had little money and needed a work wardrobe. I've been slowly turning over my wardrobe for the past few years - shirts, shoes, and ties - and although I can make my suits look fairly stylish (IMO) with good colour combinations and quality accessories, I think I really need to upgrade.

So, rather than replace like colours with like, I think it's a good time to buy a good quality navy suit, which will fill a major hole in my suit lineup (thus killing two birds with one stone). I've been combing the threads here and on AAAC, but in the interests of finding what I want, I would rather open it up to your collective wisdom.

1. What would be a reasonable price to pay for a decent suit (i.e., better than Men's Wearhouse/Moore's)? I was thinking of something in the $400-600 range - is this feasible?

2. How likely will I get something that's canvassed for this price? I want to avoid puckering and similar ills.

3. Are there any brands I should concentrate on?

Your thoughts are welcome.

Geoff

sleekblackroadster

Reaction score
i've been eyeing the 2-button polo ralph lauren navy suit that retails for $1395.

this private pre-sale they have going on puts it at ~$830. but if you have not been a ralph lauren customer you may not be able to get in on that pricing. or at least not at this time.

http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/i...entPage=family

a bit above your range but i like this suit a lot.

and yes i'm sure you can find a nice suit for under $600.. you just have to shop around! there are tons of options out there!

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unless you are a pro basketball player, get rid of the 4-button suit.

After that, I would watch Brooks Bros for a sale or keep an eye on any of the better department stores in your area.

Doc4

Reaction score
Geoff, if you are interested in supporting a Canadian designer, you can try Arnold Brant. If you are confident in your ability to order over the internet (assuming your present suits fit you and you know the sizes, and you have a decent tailor in town) you can try Sierra Trading Post which usually carries a good selection of Arnold Brant. (Of course, they also carry a good selection of Isaia ...
inlove.gif
)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads