• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Academi Denim

kman

Reaction score
Well academi looks to be the cheapest selvedge denim out there. i am thinking of buying a few pares and i would like to know how much will these shrink after the initial cold soak. also how good of a denim for the price are they. thanks

brohymn

Reaction score
The denim is good but the construction and cut are ******* garbage. There's a reason why they're so cheap and why they are permenantly on sale.

buttonman

Reaction score
^i would second that as i own a pair myself. if you get these on sale for like 20 or 30 bucks you can use them as a beater pair. they are definitely not meant for you to size down and stretch them out since the rivets will probably pop off, as they have with mine

however with about 2 1/2 months on this pair i'm starting to get some decent fades. and considering i don't do anything in my jeans, the denim has a fairly nice fading quality. when things start coming out a little more clearly i'll post pictures

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
I had a friend pick a pair up for me in 28... I'm kind of bummed I didn't go with the 30's.

RogT

Reaction score
I got a pair, but it's my first pair of raws, ever, so I can't really compare to anything else. However, I think I read that second run production pairs fixed the rivet issue. I've been wearing my jeans daily for almost 3 weeks now and I haven't had a rivet pop off.

GY!BE

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robbie
I had a friend pick a pair up for me in 28... I'm kind of bummed I didn't go with the 30's.

same deal exactly, Im stillll stretching these bad boys out

but to op

just buy one pair, dont cold soak, and wear the hell out of them, just dont expect them to be premium

remn

Reaction score
The rivets on my pair have likewise been popping off like crazy (first one 3 weeks in, second one 6 weeks in). Haven't been wearing these enough to get good fades, but they are pretty good quality denim for the price.

The cut is kind of weird though; feels like it's constantly riding in ******.

who8mahrice

Reaction score
Their second production run includes a slimmer cut (from only the relaxed ones in the first), different dyes, and upgraded hardware, supposedly. I got word of all this a while back...but haven't really heard much for in store availability...

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
I think Aiden Dinh posts somewhat regularly on SuFu. A lot of the pics he posted of their samples look promising, I think as time goes on their Quality Control will improve. You'd think they'd improve it anyhow to help keep Slings and Stones reputation in tact.

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
do not buy, spend the extra $50 or so and atleast get some apc's academi has the worst possible fit/cut available

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pg600rr
do not buy, spend the extra $50 or so and atleast get some apc's academi has the worst possible fit/cut available
APC 155$ + s&h from Europe Academi 19.99$ and tax from Urban. I've seen worse cuts for the price.

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robbie
APC 155$ selvage, SF cred.

Academi 19.99 + tax @ UO, selvage, hidden rivets.

I've seen worse cuts for the price.

didnt know they were only $20, if thats the case u might as well get them, i thought they were like $80-$100

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads