• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do I need for living off the grid for 5 days?

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I will be living off the grid for five days, in the mountains with no electricity. I will have a bed, a roof, dishes, utensils, and a propane-fueled stove. There is also an outhouse. I will be by myself.

It's 5000 feet up in California so I figure it may be 40 degrees at night, 55-60 during daytime.

Kinda scary being out there in the wilderness all alone without cell phone reception, but it's also kinda fun. Hopefully I don't get bitten by a snake.

What do I need to bring? I have not done too much camping since I was 12 so I forgot what goes into the checklist.

Basics
- Extra propane
- 2 flashlights / extra batteries
- 1 gallon of water per day
- Phone / external battery charger in case of emergency
- Pocket knife
- Axe?
- Bug spray
- Sleeping bag / Blanket
- Pillow
- Garbage bags
- Compass
- Lighters
- Lantern
- Binoculars
- Tape
- Sanitary wipes / hand sanitizer
- First aid

Food
- Canned goods (lots)
- Cereal/oatmeal
- Fruit
- Veggies

Now, I have no idea how long a cooler/ice can last out there. Do I bring meat, and if so, how can I keep it from spoiling and for how long using a cooler? Otherwise I'm thinking of bringing a protein shake to get protein if there is no meat/dairy for 5 days.

Clothes
- Usual stuff
- Warmer jacket
- Hiking shoes
- Hat
- Poncho

Random
- Camera
- Notebook
- Books

Anything obvious I'm missing? Thanks.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Water.

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fox40 Whistle
Signal mirror
Map if you're using a compass and/or GPS
Bear spray (if it's bear country)
Rope

I'd rather have a machete or bushknife rather than just a pocket knife too.

Will you be travelling over the 5 days, or camped out in one spot, or will you have access to a permanent shelter (cabin)?

In any case it sounds like fun.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I know nothing about camping or wilderness but I'd say something to ward off the occasional wild animal would be good. There are mountain lion's in the Cali mountains aren't there? Something to do with yourself might be nice. What do you plan on doing for 5 days?

Just out of curiosity, why the need to get off the grid?

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bbaquiran
Fox40 Whistle Signal mirror Map if you're using a compass and/or GPS Bear spray (if it's bear country) Rope I'd rather have a machete or bushknife rather than just a pocket knife too. Will you be travelling over the 5 days, or camped out in one spot, or will you have access to a permanent shelter (cabin)? In any case it sounds like fun.
I will be in a cabin/lookout that used to be utilized by rangers for spotting forest fires. I don't know which one yet, but this is the one I am leaning towards:
OakFlat_1.jpg
3096343017_ea5a28764d_b.jpg
3076270136_88f11f2be8_z.jpg
What is bear spray?
Originally Posted by Rambo
I know nothing about camping or wilderness but I'd say something to ward off the occasional wild animal would be good. There are mountain lion's in the Cali mountains aren't there? Something to do with yourself might be nice. What do you plan on doing for 5 days? Just out of curiosity, why the need to get off the grid?
For a long time now I've wanted a vacation to just get away from the city. My trips tend to be solo adventure trips (last minute, no plan, just a plane ticket and some wanderlust). But they are usually in places full of people...cities, random third world countries, etc. I've wanted to just be somewhere quiet for a while. Get away from the online dating, the work, my phone, SF, etc. Once I was hiking up on Mt. Aso, a volcano in Japan, and I drifted away from the tourists and maybe a half mile down a ravine. All I could hear was wind, and the landscape was clear of anything but rocks and shrubbery. I knelt down to the ground, below the wind, and I tried to listen for something. There was nothing but true, pure silence. And it was beautiful. I want silence for more than a moment, so I am doing this trip. I've also wanted to pick up meditation again - I haven't done it consistently for a couple of years. At first I considered a meditation retreat, but I decided the last thing I needed was being surrounded by 50 new-age vegetarian **** and soccer moms doing the trendy thing. I know how to meditate, I just need somewhere to do it. I also want to regain some of my focus/perspective. It will just be me, my mind, nature, a book, and a notepad. Just reading, writing, hiking, and meditating for five days. To some this sounds like the worst vacation ever, to me it is heaven.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
You are such a wuss.

Jekyll

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you renting from someone? You might want to ask them what you'll likely need.

If the tower has no phone, there's no cell coverage, and you're far from any neighbors, you might want a radio or some other method of contacting someone in case of a medical emergency or whatever.

Originally Posted by MetroStyles
I will be in a cabin/lookout that used to be utilized by rangers for spotting forest fires. I don't know which one yet, but this is the one I am leaning towards:

This looks ******* awesome.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
For a long time now I've wanted a vacation to just get away from the city. My trips tend to be solo adventure trips (last minute, no plan, just a plane ticket and some wanderlust). But they are usually in places full of people...cities, random third world countries, etc. I've wanted to just be somewhere quiet for a while. Get away from the online dating, the work, my phone, SF, etc. Once I was hiking up on Mt. Aso, a volcano in Japan, and I drifted away from the tourists and maybe a half mile down a ravine. All I could hear was wind, and the landscape was clear of anything but rocks and shrubbery. I knelt down to the ground, below the wind, and I tried to listen for something. There was nothing but true, pure silence. And it was beautiful. I want silence for more than a moment, so I am doing this trip. I've also wanted to pick up meditation again - I haven't done it consistently for a couple of years. At first I considered a meditation retreat, but I decided the last thing I needed was being surrounded by 50 new-age vegetarian **** and soccer moms doing the trendy thing. I know how to meditate, I just need somewhere to do it. I also want to regain some of my focus/perspective. It will just be me, my mind, nature, a book, and a notepad. Just reading, writing, hiking, and meditating for five days. To some this sounds like the worst vacation ever, to me it is heaven.
Sounds awesome. Might get boring up there in your Smokey The Bear Watchtower. Can't meditate for 24hrs a day. Even David Lynch couldn't pull that **** off.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads