• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best untanned belts

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mikecch
Totally mate...buying from these guys not only nets you a great product at a great price, but also invaluable knowledge through conversing with them.

Not that there's anything wrong with Sugar Cane belts, Pherrow's belts, or whatever......but I reckon anyone into the denim/natural leather hobby should give 'custom-made' a go at least once - it's not for everybody, and much more work on the buyers behalf, but at least for me the results are worth it
smile.gif

Some of the dudes who make belts for the various Japanese brands also run their own little operations and do house-brands for various denim shops - these are worth tracking down too
smile.gif

yeah, i bet they are. i will see what i can do
smile.gif

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
thats awesome man! how thick is the leather. that looks thicker then my samurai curve...

is the buckle brass? its hard to tell in the photo.

iroh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whatever123
thats awesome man! how thick is the leather. that looks thicker then my samurai curve... is the buckle brass? its hard to tell in the photo.
Can a belt ever be too thick? I have a 33" waist and I have a LGC belt (I think it is 9-11 oz if I recall correctly) and I find thickness kind of too much for my small waist. It just might be too much belt for me or am I wrong? Adding to this, I recall seeing a 17 oz belt here the other day, how the hell do people wear such belts? It would be so thick it would be like wearing a rectangular curved O ring made of leather.

mikecch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whatever123
thats awesome man! how thick is the leather. that looks thicker then my samurai curve...

is the buckle brass? its hard to tell in the photo.

Leather varies from 6 to 6.4 mm - so 15 to 16 oz as measured via calliper.

Originally Posted by iroh
Can a belt ever be too thick? I have a 33" waist and I have a LGC belt (I think it is 9-11 oz if I recall correctly) and I find thickness kind of too much for my small waist. It just might be too much belt for me or am I wrong? Adding to this, I recall seeing a 17 oz belt here the other day, how the hell do people wear such belts? It would be so thick it would be like wearing a rectangular curved O ring made of leather.

Mmm, all my belts are at least 12/13 oz, and most are 15 oz.
I think it's only a problem in the leather comes really stiff (then a small oiling does wonders)...but usually well process leathers (like the oak-bark from Bakers or naturals from Tochigi tannery) come very supple and well oiled, making them very flexible.

Funksy

Reaction score
This may be a little off topic, but if I'm developing more interest in leather, which I assume will eventually lead to jackets, bags, shoes, etc... would belts be a logical starting point? It's seems like the smallest initial investment, if nothing else.

Also, I see that many are suggesting buying direct from the makers. Are the names listed (viz., terry dear, scott (unlucky)) forum members, or how would I get in contact with them.

Funksy

Reaction score
Its cool. I already found the e-mail in a different thread. Thanks for the help anyway "whatever123".

mikecch

Reaction score
Well, this is my current undyed cattlehide belt rotation, all private label craftsmen made. Top to bottom in first pic: Unlucky, faith x Ken (type II industrial), Kyoto Free-Mart for Atomic Wrap, Terry Dear's oak bark (worn 2 days), Terry Dear's oak bark (brand new, keeping in storage for later)
pb060007.jpg
pb060015.jpg

mikecch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pronxs
mike do you think you need more versatility? maybe more brown, burgundy, etc.
Haha, yeah, I do have brown and black belts which I wear for work, and some silly brand name belts (Dunhill, Kenzo, etc) for more formal occasions. Just thought the natural ones would be more interesting.
DSC04016.jpg
DSC03669.jpg

mikecch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pronxs
i wanna get your unlucky sword belt. but i alr have 1 untanned belt which is more than enough actually.
Are you gonna steal my design
foo.gif
?????? Just jokes man, here's the original sword belt from Kawatako (same Tochigi leather as my Free Mart belt, you've probably noticed that Japanese natural veg. tan has more variation in it's tone than it's UK or US counterparts, a little more similar to horse-hide) :
gokujyou-belt-natu.jpg
I just accentuated the curves and added the rivet to break the monotony. I find that when natural belts achieve a light tan, the colour is very versatile and go with pretty much any indigo denim (which is all I wear when not at work) - so I have very little use for brick or burgundy belts. The concept of the natural belt evolving fits in with the denim's story too, so it's more cohesive for me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads