• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How big do you think this lapel width is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

teknique22

Reaction score
It's either 3.5 or 3 3/4". judging by him it's 3.5 (if he's a 36) which is getting a bit wide these days for that size. This lapel has a half notch as well which makes it look more expressive.
David - any insight into if you can create a blazer with similar lapels? I'm talking same gorge, half notch, and 3.5-3.75in width? HOw much would this cost roughly? Thanks! I'm in NYC...

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Quote: Looks closer to 3.75, than 3.5, especially the Tom Ford jacket. The gorge angle will contribute to how wide the lapel will look. Shia's gorge line angles upwards from the notch point towards the neck. More Italian nature. The more horizontal the gorge line is the wider the lapel will look. The distance from the upper corner/edge of the lapel to the point the collar starts can also be adjusted to balance the look of the lapel width. It's simple to control if you comprehend the effect of the variables. Sometimes I do 3 5/8" lapels

If you are going MTM don't try to adjust these points, find a model that corresponds to the look you want.

Oyek

Reaction score

Critique and advice please.

teknique22

Reaction score
Looks closer to 3.75, than 3.5, especially the Tom Ford jacket. The gorge angle will contribute to how wide the lapel will look. Shia's gorge line angles upwards from the notch point towards the neck. More Italian nature. The more horizontal the gorge line is the wider the lapel will look. The distance from the upper corner/edge of the lapel to the point the collar starts can also be adjusted to balance the look of the lapel width. It's simple to control if you comprehend the effect of the variables. Sometimes I do 3 5/8" lapels

If you are going MTM don't try to adjust these points, find a model that corresponds to the look you want.

Do you mean both look closer to 3.75in? And what do you mean by "if you're going MTM do not try to adjust these points"? What should I not try to adjust?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yes, they look like 3.75. Shia's could be less in relation to his chest size but I'm not sure.

MTM uses block patterns and shapers. It is better to stick with their standard way of doing things for the best result rather than start to specify gorge height and angles. Just pick the lapel width you want and let them do the rest.

teknique22

Reaction score
Looks closer to 3.75, than 3.5, especially the Tom Ford jacket. The gorge angle will contribute to how wide the lapel will look. Shia's gorge line angles upwards from the notch point towards the neck. More Italian nature. The more horizontal the gorge line is the wider the lapel will look. The distance from the upper corner/edge of the lapel to the point the collar starts can also be adjusted to balance the look of the lapel width. It's simple to control if you comprehend the effect of the variables. Sometimes I do 3 5/8" lapels

Yes, they look like 3.75. Shia's could be less in relation to his chest size but I'm not sure.

MTM uses block patterns and shapers. It is better to stick with their standard way of doing things for the best result rather than start to specify gorge height and angles. Just pick the lapel width you want and let them do the rest.
Thanks. Where are you located and do you know any tailors who are able to craft something similar to Shia's?

Thanks

Last edited:

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There is nothing special about his styling. Anybody should come close to replicating this.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you mean both look closer to 3.75in? And what do you mean by "if you're going MTM do not try to adjust these points"? What should I not try to adjust?

Thanks!

Thanks. Where are you located and do you know any tailors who are able to craft something similar to Shia's?

Thanks
There is nothing special about his styling. Anybody should come close to replicating this.

If you are going to take anyone's advice, please take @Despos 's. He is a custom tailor of some repute in Chicago (look up "Despos chicago), and as such, has decades more experience and expertise than the rest of us. I always listen to my tailor about tailoring issues, especially technical ones like this one.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You very well may be correct. I don't really know what half notch means; first time I have ever seen or heard this term used

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members