• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Would you date a girl who was incredibly unfashionable?

Earnest Hemingway

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
why not? the only problem i can see is if she associates interest in clothing with femininity and transitively with homosexuality. but who wants to date someone as unenlightened as that?

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
My girl dresses well but isn't a hobbyist. She's always selfconscious about it though, when I feel like doing something interesting rather than just my usual go-to's she's always on about feeling like she's not on par and has to try harder. Which I guess is a good sentiment, but it kind of discourages me from stepping out of the norm.

glundr

Reaction score
brads gf is cute as ****

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score
Who cares the clothes come off quick anyways right?

No but really mine already dresses simply - linens/wools tropical like myself. She does not (at this point) appreciate the labels I purchase from. I love Margiela women's ankle boots/wedges and I have purchased one for her but they sit next to her mall purchased brands. She has recently come around though to the likes of Isabel Marant and some Margiela though. I guess I should be lucky since she doesn't care for the price of anything as long as it looks nice on her. She is much more grounded and responsible than I am so I could only imagine what kind of craziness would ensue if we had the same views. Point is I don't really much care, I like the way she dresses and would like to slip in some nice shoes and stuff once and awhile thats about it

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If your shallow enough to date someone purely based on aesthetic your probably going to have an awful relationship

Then again my wife dresses really well, crockett and jones boots and ballet flats, raw indigo skinny / slim jeans or overdyes, plain white / grey t's, cardigans or knit pullovers, heaps of nice shirts and dresses too.

TBH she would probably wear alot of Jil (which she loves, prices are cray though) if we lived in the U.S

Fatlark

Reaction score
If your shallow enough to date someone purely based on aesthetic your probably going to have an awful relationship
Then again my wife dresses really well, crockett and jones boots and ballet flats, raw indigo skinny / slim jeans or overdyes, plain white / grey t's, cardigans or knit pullovers, heaps of nice shirts and dresses too.
TBH she would probably wear alot of Jil (which she loves, prices are cray though) if we lived in the U.S
It's not really aesthetics, but more of a mindset.

kashmir

Reaction score
on the other hand I dislike a girl who is a fashion sheep more than a girl who's oblivious to clothing. my gf is the latter and she's actually beginning to appreciate more and more as I show her some basics like good leather shoes vs PVC/ corrected grain ones, etc. while the former actually thought that she's the it girl with the kate spade bag, marc by marc jacobs wallet, etc

Earnest Hemingway

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

on the other hand I dislike a girl who is a fashion sheep more than a girl who's oblivious to clothing. my gf is the latter and she's actually beginning to appreciate more and more as I show her some basics like good leather shoes vs PVC/ corrected grain ones, etc. while the former actually thought that she's the it girl with the kate spade bag, marc by marc jacobs wallet, etc

+1

Those girls I tend to avoid, since that kind of approach to fashion is usually indicative of a personality that wouldn't quite mesh with mine,

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was inclined to say "yes" when I remembered this girl I was "seeing" a few years ago. Awful style. It actually of annoyed me (and I'm definitely not one to think too much beyond whether a girl looks attractive or not). What annoyed me was her style was a sad attempt at hobo-chic or something. I think she literally wore a blanket as a skirt (well that's what it looked like).

linstar

Reaction score
I don't think being fashionable is an important trait at all. Sure bonus points to a girl who is fashionable, but as long as she dressed appropriately for an event it shouldn't matter. Style can be an artistic output like music. It's a hobby for me and if a girl can share that with me great, if not oh well. Snide comments and such that other posters are talking about isn't an inherit part of being fashionable. That's a character flaw. Likewise, judging how a girl dresses would be a character flaw innate within yourself, not a flaw in the girl. It would be like judging someone based on their musical preferences.

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't think being fashionable is an important trait at all. Sure bonus points to a girl who is fashionable, but as long as she dressed appropriately for an event it shouldn't matter. Style can be an artistic output like music. It's a hobby for me and if a girl can share that with me great, if not oh well. Snide comments and such that other posters are talking about isn't an inherit part of being fashionable. That's a character flaw. Likewise, judging how a girl dresses would be a character flaw innate within yourself, not a flaw in the girl. It would be like judging someone based on their musical preferences.

Broadly speaking, you are wrong. Everyone has to get dressed in the morning. And dress is the primary way in which people signal their cultural tribe. Even the phrase you use "dressed appropriately" is loaded. The girl might not have great taste, but clearly, you expect a certain mode of dress.

linstar

Reaction score
Broadly speaking, you are wrong. Everyone has to get dressed in the morning. And dress is the primary way in which people signal their cultural tribe. Even the phrase you use "dressed appropriately" is loaded. The girl might not have great taste, but clearly, you expect a certain mode of dress.

By "dressed appropriately" i am simply referring to dressing for the context of an event, e.g., business casual for a job with such requirements, something nicer for a traditional wedding etc. I don't think the phrase is loaded at all besides implying being presentable for the occasion. It's not some arbitrary subjective standard, dressing appropriately is not fashionable or unfashionable; it is a part of functioning in society. As you said, everyone has to get dressed in the morning, it's not a question of taste in context I used (or meant to use if you were confused by my writing), but society's expectation. Myself "expecting" a woman to dress to society's expectations has nothing to do with fashion, it is a requirement for the lifestyle I lead, plan to lead, and I'm sure most people on this forum and in general wish to lead. Being unable to meet this standard is certainly fine (for example living in a nudist colony), but me not choosing to date them would not be because of their fashion choice (or lack of clothing), but rather lifestyle choice. I wouldn't date a meth addict for the same reasons; that is not my lifestyle and against has nothing to do with their taste in clothing. For example, I remember some article a little while back about some reporter getting kicked out of a courtroom for wearing glitter bedazzled tights. That was not a question of being fashionable (or more likely unfashionable) but rather being inappropriate for the occasion.

Outside of societal requirements to dress appropriately, I still think that dressing is a way to express yourself, not indicative of a certain culture (though it can be used to express a culture). Culture is much more than a "dress code." Putting on a kimono does not suddenly signal how Japanese you are. Customs are more indicative of culture than dress. For example, in Taiwan plenty of people wear hip-hop inspired clothing; baggy southpole/fubu hoodies and jeans. They sure as **** didn't grow up gangbanging in the hood when they're in class from 6am till 10pm. It is an artistic expression of themselves.

EDIT: By the way did you get my PM/email regarding the geller styleforum buy that was mentioned?

Last edited:

Bortelli

Reaction score
Most people arent concerned with style. I feel like if you judge someone on style, you're gonna miss out on a lot of booty. Or good relationships.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
incitylimo