• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who Runs In Newton Shoes?

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
CP put up a thread that dies fast death a few years ago...so now I got mine today. just bought the "entry level" pair...anyone else in these? Opinions on them? I'll share mine in a few...

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
are you already a forefoot runner or are trying to convert into one?

I was about to buy a pair last year but decided to go to the minimalist footwear route (I run in puma H. streets and new balance RC130x [europe and asia only model])

I have friends in the NYRR who swear by their newtons. Two of them say they have avoided injury in the past year due to the shoes (or the new form induced by running the shoes). But those guys are triathletes who will spend whatever on new technologies to got faster/go more efficient.

The only weird thing is that I hardly see them (or any others wearing newtons) during any races during the winter months, but they are a plenty during the spring and summer.

airblaster503

Reaction score
I have never ran in Newton's, but personally I think it is just a marketing ploy to sell over priced shoes. My advice is to try out vibram 5 fingers if you want to change to a midfoot strike, or like I did just buy more minimalist racing flats. In the end it is up to you to change your form, you don't need an over priced pair of shoes to do that.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by airblaster503
I have never ran in Newton's, but personally I think it is just a marketing ploy to sell over priced shoes. My advice is to try out vibram 5 fingers if you want to change to a midfoot strike, or like I did just buy more minimalist racing flats. In the end it is up to you to change your form, you don't need an over priced pair of shoes to do that.

thats not the point though right? the shoes have already been purchased. so what can you contribute specifically about the shoes via experience with them?

for the people that i know use the newton shoes, they already had a mid foot strike in their running form, so the newtons just accentuated their form further making them a forefoot landing. that can't be a bad thing if they have experienced less injuries as a result.

i think it was Natascha Badmann who set a world record in the shoes during a triathlon but clearly wasn't a forefoot striker and complained that her toenails fell off after using them. so she was probably paid just to run in them, still she did set a world record in the shoes.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
welp, just did my first run in them...5.5 miles at a liesurely pace. I am a heel striker, and I think by changing my form, i may be able to get more miles down this summer without the risk of injury. The owner of my local running shop swears by them, and doesn't ALWAYS wear them...he alternates. This is more like what I would do, change my stride a bit more gradually.

Anyway, my calves are a bit sore as for the last 2 miles I really concentrated on staying nearer the balls of my feet...and I have a hockey game tonight, so hopefully I didn't do too much on the first go round with my Newts.

PITAronin

Reaction score
Just came across this thread while trying to track down something else, so let me resurrect it and add a comment. I've been running since I was in my 20s and am in my early 60s now and have recently tried both the 'training' model and the racing model from Newton. I've been using them for about six months and generally tend to alternate the Newtons with either Nikes or Sauconys for my training runs, since I've never been a natural forefoot runner and it's taking some time to get acclimated. That being said, I'm finding that I'm running longer, with less discomfort and shorter recovery times, and my 5k and 10k times have gone down. The one downside to the shoes (and it may explain the comment earlier in the thread about why they seem more popular among runners at spring/summer races) is that they absolutely suck when it comes to running on wet surfaces.

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
welp, just did my first run in them...5.5 miles at a liesurely pace. I am a heel striker, and I think by changing my form, i may be able to get more miles down this summer without the risk of injury. The owner of my local running shop swears by them, and doesn't ALWAYS wear them...he alternates. This is more like what I would do, change my stride a bit more gradually.

Anyway, my calves are a bit sore as for the last 2 miles I really concentrated on staying nearer the balls of my feet...and I have a hockey game tonight, so hopefully I didn't do too much on the first go round with my Newts.

This is my 3rd year running in Newtons, and I still love them. I wear them exclusively. The trick is to go slow in breaking them in. At first, just run one mile and then change into the old shoes. Add more mileage as your legs dictate. I wear the Motion All Weather Trainer. (These shoes work well even on the snow and ice that will be coming only too soon.) Newton shoes have trained me to become a mid foot striker. More than that, I find that I'm not pounding my feet nearly so hard. Listen, and you'll hear more of a "ping" sound rather than a "thud". And, unlike many of my friends, I haven't had any knee problems etc..... since wearing them. These shoes are more costly, but for me, worth every penny. They have helped me improve my form.

One thing about the Newton folk is that they are sincerely interested in helping people become better runners. Selling shoes is number two.

mikeharo

Reaction score
I love mine. Period. They are great for a forefoot runner or wannabe depending on model. The design is well thought out and the construction is phenomenal. I have not run in the all weather trainer or the new trail shoe but will pick up a pair of the trail shoe for the winter snow and rain. Forefoot runners that I know (myself included) have not had any painful adjustment period but I can understand the phenomenon. Enjoy your shoes and lower impact running.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads