• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

which basic colours for trousers (fall/winter)

nmoraitis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Red and green plaids, white, pumpkin, brick...

You are one of the few members that can actually pull off these varied colours and patterns.
smile.gif

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Willem
So, no black trousers? I've got black (Boss, linen) on today with a pink pol (RL). I used to wear all black. Now I am on this forum and bought some other clothes, I am in doubt whether I feel happy today in these clothes. Think my black trousers must go.

I have black odd pants but they don;t get used as much, when I put them on and take a quick look, it always appears that I am wearing half a tuxedo. I do have very very dark charcoal flannels that are perfect but plain black wool is hard to match. Also , I burn in that fabric in summer time.

oldog/oldtrix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A former colleague, with whom I haven't worked and have seen only rarely since he moved to another city about 20 years ago, was talking on the phone with a current colleague about a month ago. The former colleague said, "I'll bet you dinner the next time we're together that [oldog] is wearing gray pants today." He won the dinner.

It has long been my religious conviction that gray trousers are the best choice, by far, for all occasions calling for trousers except black/white tie. At least half of my suit wardrobe is in the gray family, the remainder about equally divided between blues and browns/tans, with a couple of olives and blacks for variety. My odd trouser wardrobe is even more heavily weighted toward grays, in all shades, weights, and finishes like my suits. The rest are earth tones except for a pair of navy gabardines. And though I'll wear a black suit for non-business, evening events, I do not and would not wear black odd trousers.

dinted voice

Reaction score
I didn't want to start a whole other thread, so I figured I would ask in here. What do you think about lighter colored pants in the winter? Recently, PG and MaoMao have done some killer looks like this, but I am having trouble finding a "winter white" pant. Would you think a stone colored chino would work?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
This year I added some very light gray flannels, heavy khaki moleskin, and a dull/light olive moleskin.

I like light pants for winter, provided they have some texture.

dinted voice

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
This year I added some very light gray flannels, heavy khaki moleskin, and a dull/light olive moleskin.

I like light pants for winter, provided they have some texture.

Knew I could count on you, manton. Thanks for your insight. If there is minimal texture do you think the other pieces (ie cord blazer or suede shoes) would make up for it?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
All I am saying is, try to avoid clear cut worsteds if you can. Just about any twill, brushed cotton, flannel, cord, etc. is better than that. The only worsteds I wear as winter pants are whipcord or cav twill.

Doc4

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Willem
So, no black trousers? I've got black (Boss, linen) on today with a pink pol (RL). I used to wear all black. Now I am on this forum and bought some other clothes, I am in doubt whether I feel happy today in these clothes. Think my black trousers must go.

You won't find much appreciation for black pants ... or black anything other than black tie ... here. Why? Well, you could write a PhD dissertation (or spawn several thousand-post threads) debating it, and I won't try to hijack this thread anymore than to say ... since finding SF and the dislike* of black, I've come to appreciate the result (regardless of the theories behind it).

* whether SF dislikes black or not, or whatever the true state of affairs is, God forbid we turn this thread into yet another "all about black" rehashing of the old comments.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Yes. But that's not counting my less dressy pants, like khakis.

On what single brand, model, and color did you settle? And do you have an even or odd number of them?

I think an even number is more peaceful, and less troubling to the psyche.

- B

greekonomist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
On what single brand, model, and color did you settle? And do you have an even or odd number of them?

I think an even number is more peaceful, and less troubling to the psyche.

- B

I'm doing primes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads