• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are the different tie textures?

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in how textures give ties some surface interest. I've read about grenadines and wovens, twills and satins. Anyone have a resource on these different types of ties and the descriptions of the textures you can have?

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd suggest going to a store where they have a lot of ties and just feeling them for yourself - a lot more useful than a description of what a fabric looks and feels like.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've done that, though the ones on display are usually a lot of printed ones.

I was just wondering what the categories of textures were, the way there are different categories of fabrics for suits.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
I think if you browse the sam hober and FIH sites you'll get some ideas, albeit not an exhaustive list by any means.

D'Varlet

Reaction score
I'm interested in how textures give ties some surface interest. I've read about grenadines and wovens, twills and satins. Anyone have a resource on these different types of ties and the descriptions of the textures you can have?
This sounds like a question I would have posted. Right down to the categorizing fabric swatch icon.

It's almost spooky!
LOL

I see where you're going - and yes - I'd like to have those definitions for my notes as well.

Keep me posted. We may wind up sharing some research work.

D'V

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads